The real challenge for Rio+20
The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as Rio+20, will be held in Rio de Janeiro from June 20-22 to assess the implementation of the resolutions of the Earth Summit of 1992, writes Don de Silva, a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist.
In this article, the author writes that the Cinderella treatment most governments and the media have given the Rio+20 preparations is a cause for real concern. The banking and economic crisis has sapped the will to act on environmental issues. Governments have by and large failed to deliver on the commitments made at the 1992 Earth Summit.
Throughout the world, conflict over scarce resources is escalating rapidly. Rio+20 is a unique opportunity to make the fundamental transformational change in the way we think and live. This will require a degree of common action, beyond anything we have yet experienced or imagined. The environmental movement needs a seismic mind-shift. The usual approach of strategies, actions plans, projects and programmes has not been effective. The movement is bogged down in a mire of bureaucracy. It has to rekindle the sparks of commitment that led to the globalisation of the environmental movement.
* Don de Silva is a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist and the coordinator of Regional Information Programmes for the United Nations Environment Programme (email@example.com).
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- Why Achieving Sdg Goal 8 on Decent Work and Economic Growth Is Critical for Kenya Friday, December 09, 2016
- Anti-Torture Law Helps Pay Off Chile’s Debt to Human Rights Thursday, December 08, 2016
- Fiscal austerity has been blocking economic recovery Thursday, December 08, 2016
- Gambia May Not Join African Withdrawals from ICC Thursday, December 08, 2016
- Resilient People & Institutions: Ecuador’s Post-Earthquake Challenge Thursday, December 08, 2016
- India Steps Up Citizen Activism to Protect Women Wednesday, December 07, 2016
- Italian Politics: The End of a Cycle? Tuesday, December 06, 2016
- Climate-Resistant Beans Could Save Millions Tuesday, December 06, 2016
- Europe to Decide on Use of Mercury in Dentistry Tuesday, December 06, 2016
- Nicaraguan Women Push for Access to Land, Not Just on Paper Monday, December 05, 2016