The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as Rio+20, will be held in Rio de Janeiro from June 20-22 to assess the implementation of the resolutions of the Earth Summit of 1992, writes Don de Silva, a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist.
In this article, the author writes that the Cinderella treatment most governments and the media have given the Rio+20 preparations is a cause for real concern. The banking and economic crisis has sapped the will to act on environmental issues. Governments have by and large failed to deliver on the commitments made at the 1992 Earth Summit.
Throughout the world, conflict over scarce resources is escalating rapidly. Rio+20 is a unique opportunity to make the fundamental transformational change in the way we think and live. This will require a degree of common action, beyond anything we have yet experienced or imagined. The environmental movement needs a seismic mind-shift. The usual approach of strategies, actions plans, projects and programmes has not been effective. The movement is bogged down in a mire of bureaucracy. It has to rekindle the sparks of commitment that led to the globalisation of the environmental movement.
* Don de Silva is a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist and the coordinator of Regional Information Programmes for the United Nations Environment Programme (firstname.lastname@example.org).
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- Down With Sustainable Development! Long Live Convivial Degrowth! Saturday, November 22, 2014
- Azerbaijan's Rights Activists on the Brink Friday, November 21, 2014
- OPINION: From Shared Concern to Shared Action - Thoughts on the Vienna Conference on the Humanitarian Impact of Nuclear Weapons Friday, November 21, 2014
- Refugees Between a Legal Rock and a Hard Place in Lebanon Friday, November 21, 2014
- Will Myanmar’s ‘Triple Transition’ Help Eradicate Crushing Poverty? Friday, November 21, 2014
- The Future of the Planet and the Irresponsibility of Governments Friday, November 21, 2014
- Proposal for International Anti-Corruption Court Seeing “Significant” Momentum Friday, November 21, 2014
- Mexico’s Undead Rise Up Thursday, November 20, 2014
- Inequality in Mexico Is All About Wages Thursday, November 20, 2014
- OPINION: Israel’s Arabs: Marginalised, Angry and Defiant Thursday, November 20, 2014