The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as Rio+20, will be held in Rio de Janeiro from June 20-22 to assess the implementation of the resolutions of the Earth Summit of 1992, writes Don de Silva, a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist.
In this article, the author writes that the Cinderella treatment most governments and the media have given the Rio+20 preparations is a cause for real concern. The banking and economic crisis has sapped the will to act on environmental issues. Governments have by and large failed to deliver on the commitments made at the 1992 Earth Summit.
Throughout the world, conflict over scarce resources is escalating rapidly. Rio+20 is a unique opportunity to make the fundamental transformational change in the way we think and live. This will require a degree of common action, beyond anything we have yet experienced or imagined. The environmental movement needs a seismic mind-shift. The usual approach of strategies, actions plans, projects and programmes has not been effective. The movement is bogged down in a mire of bureaucracy. It has to rekindle the sparks of commitment that led to the globalisation of the environmental movement.
* Don de Silva is a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist and the coordinator of Regional Information Programmes for the United Nations Environment Programme (firstname.lastname@example.org).
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- ACP countries unite on empowerment of rural women and youth Saturday, February 13, 2016
- Radio rage in India Saturday, February 13, 2016
- Costa Rica, UAE Cement Relations with Energy and Tourism Saturday, February 13, 2016
- Women’s empowerment in Bangladesh Friday, February 12, 2016
- Novel Joint Committee Enhances Relations between the UAE and Panama Friday, February 12, 2016
- Views split on nuclear deal implementation (part two) Thursday, February 11, 2016
- Rise of middle class undermined in East Europe & Central Asia Thursday, February 11, 2016
- The new normal in Fata Thursday, February 11, 2016
- UN Chief Focuses on World’s First Humanitarian Summit Wednesday, February 10, 2016
- Eight Cooperation Accords Strengthen Ties between Colombia and UAE Wednesday, February 10, 2016