The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as Rio+20, will be held in Rio de Janeiro from June 20-22 to assess the implementation of the resolutions of the Earth Summit of 1992, writes Don de Silva, a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist.
In this article, the author writes that the Cinderella treatment most governments and the media have given the Rio+20 preparations is a cause for real concern. The banking and economic crisis has sapped the will to act on environmental issues. Governments have by and large failed to deliver on the commitments made at the 1992 Earth Summit.
Throughout the world, conflict over scarce resources is escalating rapidly. Rio+20 is a unique opportunity to make the fundamental transformational change in the way we think and live. This will require a degree of common action, beyond anything we have yet experienced or imagined. The environmental movement needs a seismic mind-shift. The usual approach of strategies, actions plans, projects and programmes has not been effective. The movement is bogged down in a mire of bureaucracy. It has to rekindle the sparks of commitment that led to the globalisation of the environmental movement.
* Don de Silva is a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist and the coordinator of Regional Information Programmes for the United Nations Environment Programme (email@example.com).
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- Chatterjee, new Resident Coordinator, to lead 25 UN agencies in East Africa Friday, August 26, 2016
- Devastating Earthquake Demolishes Central Italy Thursday, August 25, 2016
- The Lesser Sex Wednesday, August 24, 2016
- Ships Bring Your Coffee, Snack and TV Set, But Also Pests and Diseases Tuesday, August 23, 2016
- Smart Technologies Key to Youth Involvement in Agriculture Tuesday, August 23, 2016
- Concern over Profit-Oriented Approach to Biodiversity in Latin America Monday, August 22, 2016
- US, EU Accused of Paying Lip Service to Global Arms Treaty Monday, August 22, 2016
- Breaking the Silence on Gender-Blind Transport Monday, August 22, 2016
- Uruguay’s Victory over Philip Morris: a Win for Tobacco Control and Public Health Monday, August 22, 2016
- The UN Must be at the Forefront of the fight for Civic Rights Monday, August 22, 2016