The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as Rio+20, will be held in Rio de Janeiro from June 20-22 to assess the implementation of the resolutions of the Earth Summit of 1992, writes Don de Silva, a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist.
In this article, the author writes that the Cinderella treatment most governments and the media have given the Rio+20 preparations is a cause for real concern. The banking and economic crisis has sapped the will to act on environmental issues. Governments have by and large failed to deliver on the commitments made at the 1992 Earth Summit.
Throughout the world, conflict over scarce resources is escalating rapidly. Rio+20 is a unique opportunity to make the fundamental transformational change in the way we think and live. This will require a degree of common action, beyond anything we have yet experienced or imagined. The environmental movement needs a seismic mind-shift. The usual approach of strategies, actions plans, projects and programmes has not been effective. The movement is bogged down in a mire of bureaucracy. It has to rekindle the sparks of commitment that led to the globalisation of the environmental movement.
* Don de Silva is a journalist, environmentalist, and communications specialist and the coordinator of Regional Information Programmes for the United Nations Environment Programme (firstname.lastname@example.org).
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- Obama Mulling Broader Strikes Against ISIS? Saturday, August 23, 2014
- Israel, Hamas Set to Escape War Crimes Charges Friday, August 22, 2014
- OPINION: International Relations, the U.N. and Inter Press Service Friday, August 22, 2014
- Cuba Sees Its Future in Mariel Port, Hand in Hand with Brazil Friday, August 22, 2014
- Dumping Ban Urged for Australia's Iconic Reef Thursday, August 21, 2014
- War Veterans Planting for Peace in South Sudan Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Organic Farming Taking Off in Poland … Slowly Thursday, August 21, 2014
- No Hope for AIDS-Free Generation in Uganda as Controversial HIV Bill is Signed into Law Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Zambia’s Cash Transfer Schemes Cushion Needy Against Climate Shocks Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Churches at the Frontline of Climate Action Wednesday, August 20, 2014