News headlines for “Trade, Economy, & Related Issues”, page 2

1. How China’s Africa Alliance is Shifting World Order

Friday, July 19, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 19 (IPS) - When the United Nations General Assembly met in 2007 to vote on North Korea's human rights record, only 10 of the 56 African countries voted with the U.S.-led western coalition.

2. Parts of Kenya are Already Above 1.5˚C

Thursday, July 18, 2019

NAIROBI, Jul 18 (IPS) - Kenya's getting hotter. Much hotter than the 1.5˚C increase that has been deemed acceptable by global leaders, and it is too hot for livestock, wildlife and plants to survive. Thousands of households, dependent on farming and livestock, are at risk too.

3. Heatwaves are a ‘New Normal’, Says Red Cross

Thursday, July 18, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 18 (IPS) - It is barely the middle of the month, but the verdict is in: July has been hot.

4. How Skills Can Change Lives of World’s Youth

Thursday, July 18, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 18 (IPS) - When the United Nations commemorated World Youth Skills Day, there was one stark reality that emerged out of the event: the world's youth account for over a third of the global population of more than 7.7 billion people, and they also account for over a third of those unemployed across the globe.

5. UN Report Shows Mixed Results in Meeting SDGs

Thursday, July 18, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 18 (IPS) - The United Nations launched its 2019 report on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), showing inadequate progress in the fourth year into the sustainable development agenda and highlighting the need for imminent global action.

6. The Road to Zero Hunger

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 17 (IPS) - Over 820 million people across the globe are currently undernourished, according to a new report released here.

7. Growing African Agriculture One Byte at a Time

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

BULAWAYO, Zimbabwe, Jul 17 (IPS) - Ella Mazani is a mobile phone farmer.

"My mobile phone is part of my farming. It supports my farming and my family's welfare through the services I get via the phone," the smallholder maize farmer from Shurugwi in central Zimbabwe quips. 

8. US Defunds UNFPA for Third Consecutive Year -- on Misconceived Assumptions

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 17 (IPS) - The Trump administration, in its continued hostility towards the United Nations-- and as part of its policy aimed at undermining multilateral institutions and international commitments-- has withheld its annual contributions to the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) – for the third consecutive year.

9. Africa on Track Towards Information Black Hole

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

NAIROBI, Jul 16 (IPS) - It is an image of resistance that went viral across the world. Alaa Salah, a young Sudanese student, dressed in a traditional white thobe standing atop a car with an enthralled crowd surrounding her as she and they boldly chanted Al-Thawra—Arabic for revolution.

10. How Governments Still Allow Violence Against Children

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

NEW YORK, Jul 16 (IPS) - Tamara Tutnjevic Gorman is Policy Manager - Ending Violence against Children, World Vision

Despite what you might have heard, things are getting better, every year. We are making amazing progress on fighting diseases, reducing the preventable deaths of children, and investing huge amounts to advance medicine and knowledge and to create better living conditions.

Web feed for Trade, Economy, & Related Issues news headlines