News headlines for “Trade, Economy, & Related Issues”, page 4

1. Marielle Franco Was Always There for Us and Now We’re There for Her

Friday, May 11, 2018

May 11 (IPS) - Ana Paula Gomes de Oliveira, from the Mothers of Manguinhos movement, an activist group comprised of women who have lost their children to police violenceOn May 14, 2014, my son, Johnatha de Oliveira Lima, was killed by a police officer from the Pacifying Police Unit in Manguinhos, in Rio de Janeiro. Soon after my son's death, I got a phone call from a woman who identified herself as Marielle. I didn't know who she was.

2. To Have Children or Not: The Importance of Finding a Balance

Friday, May 11, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 11 (IPS) - While the world's population has changed dramatically over the last 50 years, little is still understood about fertility transition and the reasons behind it. Over the last half a century, the global fertility rate has halved, reaching a level of 2.5 births per woman.

3. 20 Water-Stressed Countries Have Most Solar & Wind Potential

Friday, May 11, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, May 11 (IPS) - Tianyi Luo is a senior manager with the Aqueduct Project at the Global Water Program at World Resources Institute.Most power generation consumes water, whether to cool steam in thermoelectric plants or power turbines for hydropower. And the global demand for both water and electricity will continue to increase substantially in the coming decades.

4. Trump’s Dangerous Abrogation of the Iran Deal

Friday, May 11, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO, May 11 (IPS) - Stephen Zunes is a professor of politics and coordinator of Middle Eastern Studies at the University of San Francisco.The Trump Administration's decision to pull the United States out of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action—the landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, China, and the United States—strikes a dangerous blow against arms control and international security and even more firmly establishes the United States as a rogue nation.

5. Regional Cooperation Needs a Strategic Vehicle for Inclusive Growth

Friday, May 11, 2018

BEIJING, May 11 (IPS) - Winston Chow is Country Representative for China at the Global Green Growth InstituteThere is growing recognition that regional cooperation is a crucial driver of growth. We should now also recognize if regional trade networks are to yield the intended benefit of inclusive growth, then there needs to be a strategic vehicle for development that can be scaled.

6. Recipe to Save 700,000 Young Children a Year: Clean Water & Decent Toilets

Thursday, May 10, 2018

LONDON, May 10 (IPS) - Savio Carvalho is Global Campaigns Director, WaterAidThey are the foundations of a happy, healthy childhood: good nutrition, health care which includes immunisations and preventative care as well as treatment for illness, a good education. How many among us would even think to list clean water to drink, a safe place to go to the toilet and the ability to keep hands, bodies and surroundings clean with soap and water?

7. The UN and #MeToo: The Saga of Abuse Must End, Once and for All

Thursday, May 10, 2018

NEW YORK, May 10 (IPS) - Loraine Rickard-Martin, PassBlue*For many years now, media attention on sexual abuse and exploitation by United Nations peacekeepers cornered the UN and pushed it toward reform. Now, the #MeToo movement has put the organization — and many other major institutions across the world — on red alert.

8. U.S. Signals New Approach to Horn of Africa Ally

Thursday, May 10, 2018

WASHINGTON, May 10 (IPS) - The April inauguration of Ethiopia's new Prime Minister came amid much fanfare and raised expectations for the future of true democracy in Ethiopia, while far less publicized though relevant developments in the American capital could also play a significant role in shaping that future.

9. “I Wake Up Screaming”: Gaza’s Children Bear the Brunt of Violence

Thursday, May 10, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 10 (IPS) - Reham Qudaih wakes up nightly to the same nightmare: her father shot, lying on the ground in a pool of blood."In my dreams he is on the ground shot. When I have that dream – which I've had more than once I wake up screaming," she told the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC).

10. Ex-President Leaves ILO after Corruption Scandal

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

STOCKHOLM, May 09 (IPS) - Together with the president of Mauritius, Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven was to draw up a plan for the future focus of the UN-body ILO. But the work has hit an unexpected speed bump. Löfvens copartner has been forced out of office after a credit card scandal, where she shopped shoes and jewels in London for USD 26,000.There is a compact silence surrounding how the corruption scandal affects ILO's work on developing a plan to change the UN body.

Web feed for Trade, Economy, & Related Issues news headlines