News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 2

1. Free Stella Nyanzi, Demand Pan African Activists in Ghana

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

ACCRA, Mar 13 (IPS) - On Saturday 9th March, a small group of activists from Ghana, concerned by the continued incarceration of Ugandan feminist activist Dr Stella Nyanzi, rallied by the symbolic national independence Square to raise awareness on the dangers of remaining quiet to injustice.

2. People Affected by Leprosy Still Face Stigma in Latin America

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

RÍO DE JANEIRO, Mar 13 (IPS) - The First Latin American and Caribbean Meeting of Organisations of People Affected by Hansen's Disease, more widely known as leprosy, seeks to exorcise stigma and discrimination. The meeting has brought together around a hundred activists in Brazil.

3. Multilateralism: A Testimony

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

GENEVA and ROME, Mar 12 (IPS) - For over 70 years, the UN system has been perceived as the guardian of peace and development in the world. However, multilateralism today is undeniably under strain. The effectiveness of global institutions and of global policymaking is questioned, and alliances are fraying.

4. The Crisis in Venezuela

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

GENEVA, Mar 12 (IPS) - My mission to Venezuela in November/December 2017 was the first by a UN rapporteur in 21 years. It was intended to open the door to the visit of other rapporteurs and to explore ways how to help the Venezuelan people overcome the protracted economic and institutional crisis.

5. Birds of a Feather: Kim Jong-un and Donald J Trump

Monday, March 11, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Mar 11 (IPS) - After his first meeting with Kim Jong-un Donald Trump declared: "And then we fell in love, okay? No, really – he wrote me beautiful letters, and they're great letters." Maybe it was a joke, maybe not. At least Trump indicated that he and Kim Jong-un were friends. In his book De Amicitiawritten 44 BCE, Marcus Tullius Cicero wrote "A friend is, as it were, a second self." Are Trump and Kim Jong-un really friends? At least they seem to have many personal traits in common.

6. Preaching World Peace by Day, Peddling Lethal Weapons By Night

Monday, March 11, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 11 (IPS) - The Middle East, one of the world's most politically-volatile and war-ravaged regions, has doubled its arms imports during the past five years, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).

7. Millions of Venezuelans in Need of Protections

Saturday, March 09, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 09 (IPS) - The international community must extend protections for Venezuelans in light of a growing humanitarian crisis with no end in sight.

Human Rights Watch has urged governments in the Americas to provide temporary protection to the millions of Venezuelans fleeing a severe humanitarian crisis.

8. Will ‘People Power’, or Powerful People, Change the World?

Friday, March 08, 2019

LONDON, Mar 08 (IPS) - Solitaire Townsend is a sustainability expert and co-founder of the change agency Futerra.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a hero. While my friends dressed up as princesses, I wore a home-made Joan of Arc costume. Where others read romance novels, I read about fighting dragons. I didn't want to be a princess, I wanted to save them.

9. Break the Menstrual Taboo

Friday, March 08, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 08 (IPS) - It is time to rise up and fight a long neglected taboo: menstruation.

Marking International Women's Day, United Nations human rights experts called on the international community to break taboos around menstruation, noting its impacts on women and girls' human rights.

10. Protecting Women’s Space in Politics

Thursday, March 07, 2019

BRUSSELS, Mar 07 (IPS) - Women human rights defenders around the globe are facing heightened threats of violence and repression. Sometimes they are targeted for being activists, and sometimes just for being women. World leaders should do much more to secure space for women's safe participation in public life.

Web feed for Human Rights Issues news headlines