News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 2

1. Argentina's Indigenous People Fight for Land Rights

Saturday, January 12, 2019

TARTAGAL, Argentina, Jan 12 (IPS) - Nancy López lives in a house made of clay, wood and corrugated metal sheets, on private land dedicated to agriculture. She is part of an indigenous community of 12 families in northern Argentina that, like almost all such communities, has no title to the land it occupies and lives under the constant threat of eviction.

2. Walking Miles In Their Shoes

Thursday, January 10, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 10 (IPS) - In light of the millions of refugees escape persecution in search of a safer, more prosperous future, a new campaign aims to raise awareness of the difficult journeys such populations take around the world.

3. Indigenous People, the First Victims of Brazil’s New Far-Right Government

Thursday, January 10, 2019

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 10 (IPS) - "We have already been decimated and subjected, and we have been victims of the integrationist policy of governments and the national state," said indigenous leaders, as they rejected the new Brazilian government's proposals and measures focusing on indigenous peoples.

4. The Rohingya – The Forgotten Genocide of Our Time

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

AMSTERDAM/ROME, Jan 09 (IPS) - The Rohingya are a minority community living in Rakhine State in Myanmar. The Muslim Rohingya are considered intruders into Buddhist Myanmar - illegal immigrants from bordering Bangladesh. They have been always discriminated against, looked down upon, ostracized, and denied any civil and judicial rights.

5. Recorded Increase in Human Trafficking, Women and Girls Targeted

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 09 (IPS) - Human trafficking is on the rise and it is more "horrific" than ever, a United Nations agency found.

In a new report examining patterns in human trafficking, the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) found that the global trend has increased steadily since 2010 around the world.

6. One Hundred Years of Solitude: Memories and Genocide

STOCKHOLM/ROME, Jan 09 (IPS) - Denis Villeneuve´s film Blade Runner 2049 depicts a future where "bioengineered replicants" are used as slaves and killed if they misbehave. Replicants are manufactured and individualized as if they were real humans. They are even implanted with artificial memories, a measure intended to make them more "mental stable", able to cope with their wretch existence as slave labourers. Dr. Ana Stelline, a character in the movie, explains how she manufactures memories:

7. 40 Years Since the Khmer Rouge Regime Came to an End in Cambodia

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia, Jan 08 (IPS) - Forty years ago, on the 7th of January 1979, the Vietnamese army overthrew the Khmer Rouge regime. Between April 1975 and January 1979 about 1,5 to 2 million Cambodians died, a quarter of the population. The anniversary is not actually celebrated. After all these years, talking about the Khmer Rouge is still controversial. This is partly because the genocide came ‘from within'. Almost every family has a feud that goes back to this dark history in the seventies.

8. Time for a new Paradigm

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

ROME, Jan 08 (IPS) - Roberto Savio is founder of IPS Inter Press Service and President Emeritus

The person most qualified to write the foreword for this latest work by Riccardo Petrella, In the Name of Humanity, would actually be Pope Francis, who, using other words but speaking of values and making denouncements, has often argued what the reader will find in the following pages. I quote him, because words like "solidarity", "equality", "social justice" or "participation" – now used only by Pope Francis I – have now disappeared from today's political vocabulary.

I was called to this task because I have spent my life in favour of information that would give citizens the tools to be conscious actors. But the reason why from a "professional" I have become an "activist" in the campaign for world governance is precisely because I see information as directly responsible for the drift in which we find ourselves.

9. Climate Change Forces Central American Farmers to Migrate

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

CANDELARIA DE LA FRONTERA, El Salvador, Jan 02 (IPS) - As he milks his cow, Salvadoran Gilberto Gomez laments that poor harvests, due to excessive rain or drought, practically forced his three children to leave the country and undertake the risky journey, as undocumented migrants, to the United States.

10. Renew Nuclear Arms Control, Don’t Destroy It

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

NEW YORK, Jan 02 (IPS) - Andrew Lichterman is Senior Research Analyst for Western States Legal Foundation, based in Oakland, California. John Burroughs is Executive Director of Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy, based in New York City.

A hard-earned lesson of the Cold War is that arms control reduces the risk of nuclear war by limiting dangerous deployments and, even more important, by creating channels of communication and understanding. But President Donald Trump and his National Security Advisor John Bolton appear to have forgotten, or never learned, that lesson.

Web feed for Human Rights Issues news headlines