News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 5

1. Fate of the Rohingyas – Part One

Sunday, January 14, 2018

DHAKA, Bangladesh, Jan 14 (IPS) - The repatriation of Rohingya refugees driven from their villages through violence and terror appears uncertain, with critics saying the agreement legalising the process of their return is both controversial and impractical.

2. UN Chief Calls for Collective Global Response to Migration

Friday, January 12, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 12 (IPS) - I am very pleased to present this report, "Making Migration Work For All", which serves as my principal input to the zero draft of the "Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration."

3. The Reality of North Korea as a Nuclear Power

Thursday, January 11, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 11 (IPS) - With a track record of six underground nuclear tests between 2006 and 2017, North Korea is desperately yearning to be recognized as the world's ninth nuclear power – trailing behind the US, UK, France, China, Russia, India, Pakistan and Israel.

4. Philippines Most Dangerous Country in Southeast Asia for Journalists

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

MANILA, Jan 10 (IPS) - It's not just suspected drug users and dealers at risk of targeted killing in the Philippines. The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) reported last week that the Philippines is the most dangerous country in Southeast Asia for journalists. Globally, the island nation came sixth on the list of most murderous countries.

5. UN Urges Comprehensive Approach to Sexuality Education

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

PARIS, Jan 10 (IPS) - Close to 10 years after its first edition, a fully updated International Technical Guidance on Sexuality Education published today by UNESCO advocates quality comprehensive sexuality education to promote health and well-being, respect for human rights and gender equality, and empowers children and young people to lead healthy, safe and productive lives.

6. The data revolution should not leave women and girls behind

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

OTTAWA, Canada, Jan 09 (IPS) - If there is one political principle that has been constant throughout the history of human civilization it is the fact that land is power. This is something that is particularly true, and often painfully so, for women who farm in Africa.

7. The Creeping Commodification of Feminism

Monday, January 08, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 08 (IPS) - As the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) at the United Nations in New York draws near, women from every corner of the world will convene to focus on the theme of CSW 2018: Challenges and Opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls. One of the major inquiries in this theme is women's economic empowerment.

8. Argentine Soldiers Who Died in the Malvinas/Falkland Islands Rest in Peace

Thursday, January 04, 2018

9. In the Wake of the Millennium Migration

Thursday, January 04, 2018

SEATTLE, Jan 04 (IPS) - A century ago, Italian immigrants told a joke: "Before I came to America, I thought the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, I learned three things: one, the streets were not paved with gold; two, the streets were not paved at all; and three, they expected me to pave them."

10. Marooned in Bangladesh, Rohingya Face Uncertain Future

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh, Jan 03 (IPS) - Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugee women from Myanmar are currently living in the cramped camps along Bangladesh Myanmar border. Victims of sexual and physical violence in the Rakhine state, women have been disproportionately affected by this crisis and these women's perils are far from over in the host country as they continue to face multifaceted challenges.

Web feed for Human Rights Issues news headlines