News headlines for “Women’s Rights”, page 2

1. Making it in India: Women Struggle to Break Down Barriers Starting a Business

Friday, March 29, 2019

NEW DELHI, Mar 29 (IPS) - Ashlin Mathew is a news editor for the National Herald newspaper in New Delhi.

Radhika Baburao Shinde was all of 12 years old when she was married off to a man who was 10 years older. She was sent away to live with her new husband, a truck driver, and his family in remote, drought-prone Satara district, 330 kilometers southwest of Mumbai. She left school and went to work as a laborer on her husband's family farm.

2. Safe Menstrual Practices Important for Progress

Thursday, March 28, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 28 (IPS) - As menstruation continues to be shamed in many communities, one organisation is rising up to the challenge to ensure "safe menstruation for all women of Bangladesh."

3. “Don’t Tell My Husband I Have Leprosy”: Social Stigma Silences Marshall Islands’ Women

Thursday, March 28, 2019

MAJURO, Mar 28 (IPS) - Meretha Pierson has been a nurse for the past seven years, working in the government-run leprosy clinic in Majuro, the capital of the Marshall Islands. Her patients come in all ages, from different economic backgrounds and different professions. But, aside from their diagnosis, they all have something else in common: everyone wants to keep their illness a secret.

4. Japan’s Gender Gap

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

CHICAGO, Illinois, Mar 27 (IPS) - KAZUO YAMAGUCHI is the Ralph Lewis Professor of Sociology at the University of Chicago*.

Japan is not making progress in gender equality, at least relative to the rest of the world. Despite the Japanese government's attempts in recent years to pass legislation promoting the economic activity of women, Japan ranked a miserable 110 out of 149 in the World Economic Forum's 2018 Gender Gap Indexwhich benchmarks countries on their progress toward gender parity across four major areas.

5. What They Need: Money, Resources, & a Seat at the Table

Monday, March 25, 2019

NEW YORK, Mar 25 (IPS) - Marcy Hersh is the Senior Manager for Humanitarian Advocacy at Women Deliver, whose Humanitarian Advocates Program elevates the voices of women, and the organizations they lead, to help ensure they have a seat at the decision-making table.

As a long-time advocate, I've been invited to speak at dozens of global conferences about the needs of girls and women in humanitarian emergencies.

6. Words Matter: Trump and the Massacres in Christchurch

Monday, March 25, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Mar 25 (IPS) - I am the god of Hell Fire
    and I bring you fire.
    I'll take you to burn!
    Fire, I'll take you to learn.
    I'll see you burn!
    -- Jacob Louis Plant

These lyrics are from Firethe only hit by The Crazy World of Arthur Brownwhich in 1968 sold over one million singles. Brenton Tarrant played it in his car while he triumphantly left the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. He had just gunned down around 100 unarmed worshippers and was on his way to another mosque to continue the slaughter before Friday prayers ended on 15 March. His murderous rampage finished by the Linwood Islamic Centrewhere he could not find the entrance. He shut a man and his wife, whom he encountered outside the building and then shattered a window with a hail of bullets, killing five more inside, while he shouted that everyone had to leave the mosque. A courageous shop keeper rushed out and throw a credit card reader at Tarrant, who rushed back to his car followed by the shop keeper, who shattered the windshield with a handgun he had picked up from the ground. Tarrant run away, but was almost immediately restrained by police who had been able to trace him.

7. Myanmar and China’s Bride Trafficking Problem

Friday, March 22, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 22 (IPS) - This is part of a series of features from across the globe on human trafficking. IPS coverage is supported by the Riana Group.Women and girls from Myanmar are increasingly being trafficked as "brides" to China, a human rights group found.

8. Did a Backlash Against Trump Trigger Historic Highs for US Women in Politics?

Thursday, March 21, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 21 (IPS) - The dramatic increase in women legislators voted into office last November and the historic high of women candidates for the 2020 presidential elections have visibly changed the male-dominated political landscape in the US.

9. Dismantling Patriarchy Must Begin at Home: A Reflection on Gender Equality

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

GABORONE, Botswana, Mar 20 (IPS) - Lorato Palesa Modongo* is co-founder of Teen Lead Botswana, which offers training and workshops to high school students on gender-based violence, consent, Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), and leadership development.

This week, I joined thousands of activists, campaigners, thought-leaders, and change-makers in New York to advocate for women's rights and promote gender equality during the 63rd session of the UN's Commission on the Status of Women (CSW).

10. Closing the Gender Gap: The Economic Benefits of Bringing more Women into the Labour Force

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

WASHINGTON DC, Mar 19 (IPS) - Era Dabla-Norris is a division chief in the IMF's Fiscal Affairs Department, and Kalpana Kochhar is director of the IMF's Human Resources Department.

As girls, we were raised with the belief that we could accomplish anything, and that no barrier was insurmountable. Yet, for so many women, the reality doesn't quite meet their aspirations. Things weren't exactly equal in the relatively conservative middle-class society in India where we both grew up.

Web feed for Women’s Rights news headlines