News headlines for “Environmental Issues”, page 2

1. Q&A: 'There's a Lot More Climate Finance Available than People Think'

Friday, January 11, 2019

CAPE TOWN, South Africa, Jan 11 (IPS) - IPS Correspondent Yazeed Kamaldien speaks to DR. FRANK RIJSBERMAN, director-general of the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) about accessing finance for climate mitigation.

While growth in the green economy looks promising, government regulation and a business-as-usual approach are among the hurdles inhibiting cleaner energy production.

2. We Are All DukDukDiya: Humming Bird with One Drop of Water at a Time

Friday, January 11, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 11 (IPS) - Jamison Ervin is Manager, UNDP's Global Programme on Nature for Development

There is a Quechan fable about a hummingbird named Dukdukdiya. During a fierce forest fire, while all other animals stood in stunned fear, Dukdukdiya alone took action by repeatedly carrying a single drop of water in her beak to the flames. When asked why she bothered with such paltry efforts, she replied that she was simply doing everything in her power to stop the fire.

3. A Closer Look at the World Bank’s Sizable China Portfolio

Thursday, January 10, 2019

WASHINGTON DC, Jan 10 2019 (IPS) - Scott Morris is a senior fellow and director of the US Development Policy Initiative at the Center for Global Development. Gailyn Portelance is an MA candidate at Stanford University.

China continues to borrow an average of $2 billion a year from the World Bank, making it one of the Bank's top borrowers—despite being the world's second-largest economy and itself a major global lender, according to our study released today.

4. Climate Change: Complex Challenges for Agriculture

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

ZURICH, Switzerland, Jan 08 (IPS) - Peter Lüthi is in Communications at the Biovision Foundation for Ecological Development, Zurich.

The unusually hot summer of 2018 showed that climate change affects a central part of our lives: agriculture. The severe drought in Liechtenstein led to large losses in the hay harvest.

5. Time for a new Paradigm

ROME, Jan 08 (IPS) - Roberto Savio is founder of IPS Inter Press Service and President Emeritus

The person most qualified to write the foreword for this latest work by Riccardo Petrella, In the Name of Humanity, would actually be Pope Francis, who, using other words but speaking of values and making denouncements, has often argued what the reader will find in the following pages. I quote him, because words like "solidarity", "equality", "social justice" or "participation" – now used only by Pope Francis I – have now disappeared from today's political vocabulary.

I was called to this task because I have spent my life in favour of information that would give citizens the tools to be conscious actors. But the reason why from a "professional" I have become an "activist" in the campaign for world governance is precisely because I see information as directly responsible for the drift in which we find ourselves.

6. Local Innovation Facilitates Solidarity-Based Biogas Networks in Cuba

HAVANA, Jan 08 (IPS) - Black plastic pipes, readily available on the mainly empty shelves of Cuba's shops, distribute biogas to homes in the rural town of La Macuca, buried under the ground or running through the grass and stones in people's yards.

7. Turning Mangrove Trees into Sustainable Assets for Myanmar

Monday, January 07, 2019

SHWE THAUNG YAN, Myanmar, Jan 07 (IPS) - In 2015, Worldview International Foundation began a mangrove restoration project, planting saplings of the trees on about 121 hectares of land in Myanmar's Ayyerwady region.

8. Solar Energy Crowns Social Housing Programme in Brazil

Friday, January 04, 2019

PALMEIRAS DE GOIÁS, Brazil, Jan 04 (IPS) - "Solar energy makes my happiness complete," said Divina Cardoso dos Santos, owner of one of 740 houses with photovoltaic panels on the rooftops in a settlement on the outskirts of this central Brazilian city.

9. Global Warming: Severe Consequences for Africa

Friday, January 04, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 04 (IPS) - Dan Shepard is a UN public information officer specializing in sustainability issues--including SDGs, biodiversity & climate change. Africa Renewal*

Record global greenhouse gas emissions are putting the world on a path toward unacceptable warming, with serious implications for development prospects in Africa. "Limiting warming to 1.5° C is possible within the laws of chemistry and physics, but doing so would require unprecedented changes," said Jim Skea, cochair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group III.

10. Sprouting Mangroves Restore Hopes in Coastal Myanmar

Friday, January 04, 2019

SHWE THAUNG YAN, Myanmar, Jan 04 (IPS) - Htay Aung is having a moment. The 63-year-old retired professor of Marine Science sits at the foot of a Buddha statue atop a hill on Shwe Thaung Yan sub township, in Myanmar's Ayyerwady region, almost in meditation. Below him, a vast thicket of mangrove glistens in the gold of a setting sun. For Aung, this stretch of mangroves—known as the Thor Heyerdahl Climate Park—is a symbol of joy, hope and all things good.

Web feed for Environmental Issues news headlines