News headlines for “Non-governmental Organizations on Development Issues”, page 4

1. A Child of War Dedicates Herself to Peace

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

PARIS, Apr 17 (IPS) - UNESCO Courier*"I was so angry, I felt like I wanted to blow up the whole world, but I didn't. I decided I wouldn't be pushed to become evil. I would choose peace."Dalia Al-Najjar has crammed a great deal into her short life. At 22, the Palestinian refugee has already lived through three wars and has spent every spare moment between siege and ceasefire studying, volunteering, working, blogging, on the daily struggle to live in Gaza – and planning how to change the future.

2. Keeping Power in Check – Media, Justice and the Rule of Law

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

NAPIER, New Zealand, Apr 17 (IPS) - This article is part of a series of stories and op-eds launched by IPS on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day on May 3.Rarely has the press been as powerful as it is today. Thanks to the advent of social media, the use of which has grown exponentially, the combination of the formal press, newspapers, television and radio is now strengthened, and itself even kept in check by social media. Jo and Joanne citizen have found a voice, not infrequently with the power of a political and social tsunami.

3. UN Cracks Down on Peacekeeping Troops over Human Rights Abuses

Friday, April 13, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 13 (IPS) - The United Nations, whose peacekeepers have come under increased scrutiny because of widespread charges of sexual abuse and human rights violations, claims it is now committed to ensuring that all personnel serving with the UN meet the "highest standards of conduct, competence and integrity, including respect for and commitment to human rights."

4. Africa Lags Behind in Bridging Inequalities

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 10 (IPS) - Dr. Richard Munang is UN Environment's Africa regional climate change programme coordinator and Robert Mgendi is UN Environment's adaptation policy expert. "If you wish to move mountains tomorrow, you must start by lifting stones today"—so goes an African proverb, crystallising the solutions to the continent's socio-economic inequalities.

5. Freedom of Speech Guaranteed, Says Aliyev, as Azerbaijan Blocks News Websites

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

NEW YORK, Apr 10 (IPS) - Gulnoza Said, Committee to Protect Journalists, Europe and Central Asia Research Associate*President Ilham Aliyev claims that in Azerbaijan the internet is free and press freedom is guaranteed. But ahead of the April 11 snap elections, authorities have systematically silenced critical voices online through amending laws and blocking news websites, and hackers have attacked independent news outlets.

6. Palestinian Journalists Injured Covering Mass Protest in Gaza Strip

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Apr 03 (IPS) - Israeli authorities should independently and credibly investigate reports that Israeli security forces injured journalists covering protests in the Gaza Strip on March 30, 2018.

7. The Dark Chapter of Zimbabwe’s History That Won’t Go Away

Monday, March 26, 2018

BULAWAYO, Mar 26 (IPS) - With Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa just concluding a 100-day timeline to address what he considered the country's most pressing issues, which focused on economic revival, human rights activists have their own timeline.

8. New Platform Will Support Youth Projects on Water and Climate

Saturday, March 24, 2018

BRASILIA, Mar 24 (IPS) - Young people around the globe with good ideas on how to deal with water and climate challenges now have a platform to show their projects to the world and attract funding and other contributions to realise their dreams.

9. Working Together Is Key to Meeting Water Targets by 2030

Thursday, March 22, 2018

BRASILIA, Mar 22 (IPS) - Mutual collaboration and coordination among the various stakeholders are tools to accelerate the actions necessary to meet the 6th Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) in the 2030 Agenda, which states the need to ensure access to clean water and sanitation for all.

10. Forest Communities Join Forces to Fight Land Degradation in Mexico

Friday, March 09, 2018

Web feed for Non-governmental Organizations on Development Issues news headlines