News headlines for “Free Trade and Globalization”, page 4

1. Finance Following Growth

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 14 (IPS) - Economists of all persuasions recognize the critical role of finance in economic growth. The financial sector's stability and depth are widely considered important in this connection.

2. Are Prospects of Rural Youth Employment in Africa a Mirage?

Monday, November 13, 2017

NEW DELHI, Nov 13 (IPS) - Many recent accounts tend to dismiss productive employment of youth in rural areas in Africa as a mirage largely because they exhibit strong resistance to eking out a bare subsistence in dismal working and living conditions. We argue below on recent evidence of agricultural transformation that this view is overly pessimistic, if not largely mistaken.

3. Economic Development vs. Climate Action: Rebutting Deniers and Wafflers

Sunday, November 12, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov 12 (IPS) - As negotiators meet in Bonn to put together a deal to implement the Paris Agreement, John Holdren, a professor of environmental policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, stressed that economic development and climate change mitigation and adaptation are not ‘either-or' but must be pursued together.

4. Emerging Markets at Risk Again

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 08 (IPS) - Emerging market governments often draw lessons from previous financial crises – or at least claim to do so – to prevent their recurrence. However, such preventive measures are typically designed to address the causes of the last crisis, not the next one. Hence, some measures adopted may inadvertently become new sources of instability and crisis.

5. Fourth Industrial Revolution & Its Dramatic Impact on Society

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 07 (IPS) - I am an engineer and, for the time being, I am also Secretary-General of the United Nations and we are all here because we believe in the force of Science, Innovation and Technology.

6. Protein Plants Bolster Animal Feed in Cuba

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

7. SDG Fund Report Reaches a Higher Moral Ground

Monday, November 06, 2017

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 06 (IPS) - At this historic moment – this new report ("Business and SDG 16") is a tryst with destiny, one that fulfills a promise that was made both by the United Nations and the private sector at the launch of the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015.

8. Why Water, Soap & Toilets are Keys in Ending Malnutrition

Monday, November 06, 2017

LONDON, Nov 06 (IPS) - I started work this morning feeling disillusioned. A report had hit my desk that painted a very bleak picture of the state of the world's health – and for a moment I was over-whelmed by just how much work there was left to do. Then I regrouped – and began making plans.

9. Argentina Aims to Be a Leader in Mining, But Obstacles Abound

Saturday, November 04, 2017

BUENOS AIRES, Nov 04 (IPS) - Argentina does not have the mining tradition of other South American countries, but this could begin to change. The government wants to draw 30 billion dollars in foreign investment to tap the great mining potential along the eastern slope of the Andes mountain range, stretching from north to south.

10. Got Climate Questions? Climate Watch Has Answers

Friday, November 03, 2017

WASHINGTON DC, Nov 03 (IPS) - Negotiators and stakeholders headed to Bonn, Germany, for next week's UN climate summit continue to confront a range of questions surrounding one essential query: How do we meet the imperative to lower greenhouse gas emissions now — quickly — to minimize the most severe impacts of climate change?

Web feed for Free Trade and Globalization news headlines