News headlines for “Natural Disasters”, page 4

1. Beyond Hurricanes: How Do We Finance Resilience in the Caribbean?

Friday, June 08, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jun 08 (IPS) - Deodat Maharaj is UNDP Senior Advisor for the CaribbeanAs a new hurricane season approaches in the Caribbean, I attended last week's dialogue focused on "Financing Resilience in SIDS" held in Antigua and Barbuda and sponsored by the host government and Belgium.

2. Greece: SDGs a Way to End Economic Crisis?

Friday, June 08, 2018

ROME, Jun 08 (IPS) - Seven years after being on the verge of a financial collapse, Greece is now seeing better times. Its economic accounts have clearly improved but what is not under the spotlight is how the Greek people are still paying for the effects of the crisis.

3. Experts Urge Lawmakers to Focus on Food-Migration Nexus

Friday, June 08, 2018

BRUSSELS, Jun 08 (IPS) - Lawmakers at the highest levels urgently need a "revolution in thinking" to tackle the twin problem of sustainable food production and migration. Starting with an inaugural event in Brussels, then travelling on to New York and Milan, an international team of experts led by the Barilla Center for Food and Nutrition (BCFN) is urging far-reaching reforms in agricultural and migration policy on an international scale.

4. Human Rights Must Be on the Table During U.S.-North Korea Talks

Friday, June 08, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jun 08 (IPS) - Human rights issues must be included in next week's United States-North Korea summit in order to create a "sustainable agreement", said a UN expert.

5. Afghan Electorate: Basic Needs Must be met Before Political Progress can be Ensured

Thursday, June 07, 2018

KABUL, Afghanistan, Jun 07 (IPS) - Will Carter is Head of Programme, Norwegian Refugee Council, AfghanistanAfter four decades of perpetual conflict, Afghanistan rolls into two consecutive election years – parliamentary this year, presidential the next. But the country and its people are going through even tougher times than usual with continued displacement and a looming hunger crisis.

6. “A Map and Plan”: When Greener Pastures End in a Blazing Desert

Thursday, June 07, 2018

YAOUNDE, Cameroon, Jun 07 (IPS) - "Sometimes when I'm alone, I still get flashes of the grisly images I saw in the desert. I feared I was going to die out there. The people transporting us were ready to get rid of any of us where necessary," Njoya Danialo recalled as he narrated the ordeal he endured traveling through the Sahara in search of greener pastures.

7. US Administration Wants to Control Immigration by Slashing Aid: Here’s What They Need to Know

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, Jun 05 (IPS) - Michael Clemens is Co-Director of Migration, Displacement, and Humanitarian Policy & Senior Fellow, Center for Global Development The US is going to use aid to shape migration. That's at least how the president's remarks seem to have laid it out on Wednesday, when he announced his White House is "working on a plan to deduct a lot of aid" from countries whose nationals arrive at the US border. "e may not just give them aid at all."

8. Civilians Paid a Very High Price for Raqqa’s Devastating “Liberation” by US-led Forces

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

RAQQA, Syria, Jun 05 (IPS) - Donatella Rovera is a Senior Crisis Response Adviser and Benjamin Walsby is a Middle East Researcher at Amnesty InternationalDriving around in Raqqa, it was easy to believe what a senior US military official said – that more artillery shells were launched into the Syrian city than anywhere else since the Viet Nam war.

9. Unilateral Coercive Measures have Devastated the Syrian Economy &Ruined Civilian Lives

Friday, June 01, 2018

GENEVA, Jun 01 (IPS) - Idriss Jazairy is Special Rapporteur on "the Negative Impact of Unilateral Coercive Measures on the Enjoyment of Human Rights to the Syrian Arab Republic"*I have been entrusted by the Human Rights Council with the task of monitoring, reporting and advising on the negative impact on the enjoyment of human rights of unilateral coercive measures. The United Nations has repeatedly expressed concern that the use of such measures may be contrary to international law, international humanitarian law, the UN Charter and the norms and principles governing peaceful relations among States1.

10. Hunger and Food Insecurity Plague the Lives of Millions in Africa

Monday, May 28, 2018

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 28 (IPS) - Honourable Mr. Moody Awori, is the former Vice President of the Republic of Kenya. Siddharth Chatterjee is the United Nations Resident Coordinator to Kenya.Africa is rising. But at the same time, Africa is the continent with the largest number of people, (390 million) living in extreme poverty.

Web feed for Natural Disasters news headlines