News headlines for “Natural Disasters”, page 5

1. Protecting the Health & Rights of People on the Move

Friday, May 04, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 04 (IPS) - Dr. Natalia Kanem is a United Nations Under-Secretary-General & Executive Director of UNFPA, the UN Population Fund.A staggering 258 million people migrated internationally in 2017.While many of these migrants chose to leave their home countries in search of jobs, education, or to reunite with family, many others had no choice but to leave--to escape poverty, violence or a dearth of opportunities for a better life.

2. Fao Releases Alarming Report on Soil Pollution

Friday, May 04, 2018

ROME, May 04 (IPS) - Soil pollution is posing a serious threat to our environment, to our sources food and ultimately to our health.The Food and Agriculture Orgaization of the United Nations (FAO) warns that there is still a lack of awareness about the scale and severity of this threat.An FAO released a report titled "Soil Pollution: A Hiddel Reality" at the start of a global symposium which has been taking place 2-4 May, 2018 at FAO headquarters, participated by gathering experts and policymakers to discuss the threat of soil pollution in order to build an effective framework for a cohesive international response.

3. In South Sudan, Denial of Humanitarian Aid is a War Tactic

Friday, May 04, 2018

May 04 (IPS) - Christine Monaghan is research officer, Watchlist on Children and Armed ConflictWhen I visited South Sudan last year, I heard story after story about health professionals and humanitarian workers being prevented from doing critical work. Government officials regularly increased fees for nonprofits trying to alleviate the effects of conflict, stopped humanitarian convoys from delivering life-saving supplies, and erected bureaucratic obstacles designed to impede access to civilians in need.

4. Leading from the Front: Zambia Launches Plant a Million Trees Initiative

Thursday, May 03, 2018

CHINSALI, Zambia, May 03 (IPS) - As global climate experts meet in Bonn this week to discuss how to take climate action forward, Zambia counts itself amongst the leaders as President Edgar Lungu officially launches the Plant a Million (PAM) trees Initiative.

5. Revving Up Green Growth

Friday, April 27, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 27 (IPS) - While sustainable development may still seem elusive to some, a new initiative wants to pave a path for nations working towards a greener future. Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030, or P4G, is a new partnership initiative that aims to boost countries' efforts in achieving the globally adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

6. Displaced Pashtuns Return to Find Homes "Teeming" with Landmines

Thursday, April 26, 2018

KARACHI, Apr 26 (IPS) - "If I'm assured that my home and my village has been de-mined, I'd be the first to return with my family," says 54-year old Mohammad Mumtaz Khan.

7. Myanmar Unlikely to Resolve Rohingya Problem Without International Help

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

CANBERRA, Apr 25 (IPS) - Trevor Wilson is a retired Australian diplomat who served as Australian Ambassador to Myanmar from 2000-03, and has been Visiting Fellow at The Australian National University since 2003.The lead-up to the Australia-ASEAN Summit in Sydney on 16-18 March 2018 was characterised by widespread and well-publicised protests in Sydney against human rights abuses occurring in several ASEAN member countries – namely Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam.

8. From Declaration to Action: Improving Immunization in Africa

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 25 (IPS) - Joyce Nganga is policy advisor with WACI Health, an African regional health advocacy NGO headquartered in Kenya. Inviolate Akinyi, a 46-year-old grandmother, is certain that her grand-daughter needs to get all her vaccines for her to grow up healthy and strong. She uses a mix of private and public clinics in Kibera, one of the largest informal settlement in Nairobi, to get the 15-month-old the shots she needs.

9. The Nowhere People: Rohingyas in India

NEW DELHI, Apr 25 (IPS) - A devastating fire in a shanty at Kalindi Kunj, a New Delhi suburb, that gutted the homes of 226 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar, including 100 women and 50 children, has trained a spotlight on India's ad hoc policy on international migrants.

10. Illicit Trade in Oil & Fuel: an Emerging Global Policy Challenge

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

NEW YORK, Apr 24 (IPS) - Jeffrey Hardy is Director General, Transnational Alliance to Combat Illicit Trade*Illicit trade in any of its forms—alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, diamonds, timber, ivory and oil—sits at the nexus of two social-economic disorders that challenge global stability.

Web feed for Natural Disasters news headlines