News headlines for “Immigration”, page 2

1. Disasters Bring Upheaval to Sri Lanka’s Rural Economy

Friday, January 05, 2018

PERIYAKULAM/ADIGAMA, Jan 05 (IPS) - Last year was an annus horribilis for 52-year-old Newton Gunathileka. A paddy smallholder from Sri Lanka's northwestern Puttalam District, 2017 saw Gunathileka abandon his two acres of paddy for the first time in over three and half decades, leaving his family almost destitute.

2. In the Wake of the Millennium Migration

Thursday, January 04, 2018

SEATTLE, Jan 04 (IPS) - A century ago, Italian immigrants told a joke: "Before I came to America, I thought the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, I learned three things: one, the streets were not paved with gold; two, the streets were not paved at all; and three, they expected me to pave them."

3. Marooned in Bangladesh, Rohingya Face Uncertain Future

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh, Jan 03 (IPS) - Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugee women from Myanmar are currently living in the cramped camps along Bangladesh Myanmar border. Victims of sexual and physical violence in the Rakhine state, women have been disproportionately affected by this crisis and these women's perils are far from over in the host country as they continue to face multifaceted challenges.

4. Nowhere to Hide from Climate Change

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

TOGORU, Fiji, Jan 02 (IPS) - The water is nibbling away the beaches of Fiji. Not even the dead are allowed peace of mind. The graveyard of Togoru - a village on the largest island of Fiji - has been submerged. The waves are sloshing softly against the tilted tombstones covered with barnacles. The names have become illegible, erased by the sea.

5. How a Venezuelan Living with HIV Could Change the Way Mexico Deals with Refugees

Thursday, December 21, 2017

MEXICO CITY, Dec 21 (IPS) - As Daniel*, a 26-year-old architect, stood before a visibly exhausted doctor in the main public hospital of the once-idyllic beach resort town of Isla Margarita, northern Venezuela, a terrifying premonition took hold of him.

6. 'Only Our Youth Can Save the Planet' - Kumi Naidoo

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

SUVA, Fiji, Dec 20 (IPS) - "Today's youth should think of new solutions for old problems like climate change and social injustice."

That's the strong message of the South African activist Kumi Naidoo. The former executive director of Greenpeace says young people need to be more innovative and visionary, "because the solutions of my generation have failed."

7. To Be a Latin-American Migrant in Madrid

MADRID, Dec 20 (IPS) - If you are in Madrid and have some spare time, just go to an area which residents consider a "high class" neighbourhood situated in a district bordering Barrio de Salamanca, one of the richest areas in the Spanish capital.

8. Perpetrators of Crimes against Humanity Must be Brought to Justice

GENEVA, Dec 20 (IPS) - On the occasion of the 2017 International Day of Human Solidarity observed on 20 December, the Chairman of the Geneva Centre for Human Rights Advancement and Global Dialogue Dr. Hanif Hassan Ali Al Qassim calls for peace for and human solidarity with, the Rohingya minority in Myanmar.

9. Our Right of Passage Should be Safe Migration, Not Leaky Boats

Monday, December 18, 2017

GENEVA, Dec 18 (IPS) - "I'm a migrant, but didn't have to risk my life on a leaky boat or pay traffickers. Safe migration cannot be limited to the global elite." Thus spoke United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres in September 2017.

10. No Health Protection for Migrant-Women Healthcare Givers

Monday, December 18, 2017

ROME, Dec 18 (IPS) - While the media may be attracted by images of migrants drowning or sold as slaves, another flagrant but lesser-known drama is that of care workers, who are overwhelmingly women, often migrants, and who make a very large contribution to global public health, but are exposed to great health risks themselves with little or no protection, let alone basic labour rights.

Web feed for Immigration news headlines