News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 3

1. Over and Under Nutrition: Two Sides of an Unhealthy Coin

Thursday, October 04, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 04 (IPS) - A dramatic shift in the way we eat and think about food is more urgent than ever to prevent further environmental degradation and an even larger health epidemic.   

2. Deaf or Dead? The Unbearable Choice for some TB Patients

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

CAPE TOWN, Oct 03 (IPS) - Phumeza Tisile is a student at the University of Cape Town and an advocate working to help eradicate TBLike death, hearing loss is irreversible. I never imagined that I would have to choose between the two until seven years ago when I became infected with tuberculosis (TB), a contagious disease caused by an airborne bacterium.

3. Making Every Euro Count in the Fight Against Malnutrition

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

ROME, Oct 03 (IPS) - More money, and better spent, is what we need to end hunger and malnutritionEverybody wants to end hunger. That is what all UN-member countries stated when signing the 2030 Agenda for a better world: the second of its 17 goals aims at eradicating all forms of malnutrition (which include overweight, obesity or micronutrient deficiencies) and ensuring that everybody has access to nutritious and healthy foods.

4. Local Communities in Mexico Show Ways to Fight Obesity

Tuesday, October 02, 2018

MEXICO CITY, Oct 02 (IPS) - Manuel Villegas is one of the peasant farmers who decided to start planting amaranth in Mexico, to complement their corn and bean crops and thus expand production for sale and self-consumption and, ultimately, contribute to improving the nutrition of their communities.

5. Entrepreneurial about Gender Equality

Monday, October 01, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 01 (IPS) - Hong Joo Hahm is Deputy Executive Secretary and Officer-in-Charge of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).Asia and the Pacific needs more women entrepreneurs. Women's economic empowerment and gender equality depend on it, as does the inclusive economic growth needed to achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. This drives a new initiative by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, generously supported by Global Affairs Canada, focused on improving women entrepreneurs' access to finance in our region.

6. A UN High-Level Meeting May See Hopes to End Tuberculosis

Friday, September 28, 2018

NEW DELHI, Sep 28 (IPS) - Bobby John is a New Delhi based physician and global health advocate. In the early months of 1993, there was frenetic activity within the Geneva headquartered WHO's Communicable Diseases program, to get Tuberculosis designated as a Global Emergency.

7. India Uses Tech to Power its New Battle Against Malnutrition

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

MAYURBHANJ DISTRICT, India, Sep 26 (IPS) - Kanaklata Raula from Kaptipada village in India's Mayurbhanj District is on duty 24x7. The 52-year-old community health worker from Odisha State rides a bicycle for hours each day, visiting community members who need nutrition and reproductive healthcare.

8. End Tuberculosis by Empowering Community Health Workers

Monday, September 24, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, Sep 24 (IPS) - "I'm alive because of support from my family and the community health worker who brought medicine directly to my house, accompanied me during treatment and gave me hope. Without care and human support, there's no way I could be here today," says Melquiades Huauyaa survivor of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) from Peru.

9. Worldwide Effects of Asbestos Use

Friday, September 14, 2018

WALLINGFORD, CT, US, Sep 14 (IPS) - Emily Walsh is the Community Outreach Director with the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance.

Earlier this summer, the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States (EPA) issued a Significant New Use Rule (SNUR) on asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral that is also a known carcinogen. Asbestos is the only definitive cause of mesothelioma, a cancer which affects the linings of internal organs.

10. Global Warming Threatens Europe's Public Health

Thursday, September 13, 2018

VIENNA, Sep 13 (IPS) - Climate change and health experts are warning of the growing threat to public health in Europe from global warming as rising temperatures help potentially lethal diseases spread easily across the continent.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines