News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 3

1. Sustainable Food Systems; Why We do Not Need New Recipes

Monday, May 14, 2018

ROME, May 14 (IPS) - Many believe that the food and agricultural sector is different to all other economic sectors, that it is unique, and that it requires special economic models to thrive. After all, we expect the global food and agricultural system to respond to many different goals. It needs to deliver abundant, safe, and nutritious food. It needs to create employment in rural areas while protecting forests and wildlife, improving landscapes, and preventing climate change through lower food production emissions. Well-functioning food systems are also considered essential for social stability and conflict prevention. In fact many politicians today go as far as to argue that food systems need to thrive so as to stem rural-to-urban migration and the cross-border flow of desperate people fleeing food insecure nations.

2. "Green Development Has to Be Equal for All"

Monday, May 14, 2018

MANILA, May 14 (IPS) - IPS caught up with Dr. Frank Rijsberman, director-general of the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), at the end of the flagship side event of the GGGI during the 51st Annual Meeting of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Manila on May 4, 2018, which featured the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and its potential to create sustainable infrastructure and promote green growth pathways.

3. To Have Children or Not: The Importance of Finding a Balance

Friday, May 11, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 11 (IPS) - While the world's population has changed dramatically over the last 50 years, little is still understood about fertility transition and the reasons behind it. Over the last half a century, the global fertility rate has halved, reaching a level of 2.5 births per woman.

4. 20 Water-Stressed Countries Have Most Solar & Wind Potential

Friday, May 11, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, May 11 (IPS) - Tianyi Luo is a senior manager with the Aqueduct Project at the Global Water Program at World Resources Institute.Most power generation consumes water, whether to cool steam in thermoelectric plants or power turbines for hydropower. And the global demand for both water and electricity will continue to increase substantially in the coming decades.

5. Recipe to Save 700,000 Young Children a Year: Clean Water & Decent Toilets

Thursday, May 10, 2018

LONDON, May 10 (IPS) - Savio Carvalho is Global Campaigns Director, WaterAidThey are the foundations of a happy, healthy childhood: good nutrition, health care which includes immunisations and preventative care as well as treatment for illness, a good education. How many among us would even think to list clean water to drink, a safe place to go to the toilet and the ability to keep hands, bodies and surroundings clean with soap and water?

6. “I Wake Up Screaming”: Gaza’s Children Bear the Brunt of Violence

Thursday, May 10, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 10 (IPS) - Reham Qudaih wakes up nightly to the same nightmare: her father shot, lying on the ground in a pool of blood."In my dreams he is on the ground shot. When I have that dream – which I've had more than once I wake up screaming," she told the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC).

7. Belt and Road Initiative Vows Green Infrastructure with Connectivity

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

MANILA, May 08 (IPS) - "My son in primary school did not attend a birthday celebration because it was cancelled due to bad air -- and we live in Seoul, a great place to live," said Dr. Frank Rijsberman, director-general of the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI).

8. Fao Releases Alarming Report on Soil Pollution

Friday, May 04, 2018

ROME, May 04 (IPS) - Soil pollution is posing a serious threat to our environment, to our sources food and ultimately to our health.The Food and Agriculture Orgaization of the United Nations (FAO) warns that there is still a lack of awareness about the scale and severity of this threat.An FAO released a report titled "Soil Pollution: A Hiddel Reality" at the start of a global symposium which has been taking place 2-4 May, 2018 at FAO headquarters, participated by gathering experts and policymakers to discuss the threat of soil pollution in order to build an effective framework for a cohesive international response.

9. In South Sudan, Denial of Humanitarian Aid is a War Tactic

Friday, May 04, 2018

May 04 (IPS) - Christine Monaghan is research officer, Watchlist on Children and Armed ConflictWhen I visited South Sudan last year, I heard story after story about health professionals and humanitarian workers being prevented from doing critical work. Government officials regularly increased fees for nonprofits trying to alleviate the effects of conflict, stopped humanitarian convoys from delivering life-saving supplies, and erected bureaucratic obstacles designed to impede access to civilians in need.

10. Human Trafficking for Organs: Ending abuse of the Poorest

Monday, April 30, 2018

ROME, Apr 30 (IPS) - Organ transplantation is one of the most incredible medical achievements of the past century. Since the first successful transplants, which took place in the 1950s, organ transplantation has saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines