News headlines for “Water and Development”, page 4

1. Interwoven Global Crises Can Best be Solved Together

- Inter Press Service

BONN, Mar 02 (IPS) - When global crises are interlinked, they overlap and compound each other. In such cases, the most effective solutions are those that work at the nexus of all these challenges.

2. Malawi Suffers Worst Cholera Outbreak in Decades

- Inter Press Service

BLANTYRE, Jan 09 (IPS) - On March 3, 2022, Malawi declared a cholera outbreak after a district hospital in the southern region reported a case. This was the first case in the 2021 to 2022 cholera season.

3. This Planet Is Drying Up. And these Are the Consequences

- Inter Press Service

MADRID, Dec 01 (IPS) - Drought is one of the ‘most destructive’ natural disasters in terms of the loss of life, arising from impacts, such as wide-scale crop failure, wildfires and water stress.

4. COP27: Climate Changes Dire Consequences in the Worlds Most Water-Scarce Region

- Inter Press Service

Sharm El Sheikh, Nov 17 (IPS) - The Middle East and North Africa are the world’s most water-scarce regions – with 11 of the 17 water-stressed countries on the globe.

5. In Praise of Toilets

- Inter Press Service

MADRID, Nov 14 (IPS) - For those who have it, a toilet is that ‘thing’ in the bathroom, next to the bidet, the hand-washing sink with hot and cold water faucets, and the bathtub.

6. Former War Zones in El Salvador Obtain Water with the Help of the Sun

- Inter Press Service

SUCHITOTO, El Salvador, Nov 11 (IPS) - Several community-run water projects powered by solar energy have improved the quality of life of thousands of rural families in areas that were the scene of heavy fighting during El Salvador's civil war in the 1980s.

7. Solar Power Brings Water to Families in Former War Zones in El Salvador

- Inter Press Service

SUCHITOTO, El Salvador, Nov 03 (IPS) - The need for potable water led several rural settlements in El Salvador, at the end of the 12-year civil war in 1992, to rebuild what was destroyed and to innovate with technologies that at the time seemed unattainable, but which now benefit hundreds of families.

8. Accelerating Post-Pandemic SDG 6 Achievements on Water & Sanitation

- Inter Press Service

HAMILTON, Canada, Oct 20 (IPS) - Global progress has been staggeringly inadequate against Sustainable Development Goal 6, “clean water and sanitation for all.”

According to the latest SDGs progress assessment, 2 billion people still lack safely managed drinking water, 3.6 billion lack sanitation services, and 3 billion lack basic hygiene services.

9. Thinking Like a Tree – A Tribute to Life Sustainers

- Inter Press Service

STOCKHOLM, Aug 24 (IPS) - When I was a child, a friend asked me: “How would you describe a tree to someone who has never seen one?” I looked at the trees surrounding us and realised it was impossible, considering their versatility, beauty and utter strangeness. Since that time, I have often wondered about trees, as well as I have been worried by the indiscriminate destruction of trees and forests.

10. Celebrating 30 Years of Shared Water

- Inter Press Service

UNITED NATIONS, Aug 23 (IPS) - We tend to associate rivers and lakes with the countries in which they are located. Yet a little-known fact is that more than half of the world’s freshwater bodies are shared.