News headlines for “Arms Control”, page 2

Despite its History and Reputation, Finland Has to Guard Press Freedom

Monday, January 11, 2016

, Jan 11 (IPS) - The year 2015 was a sad one for journalists around the world, with approximately 60 journalists killed, more than 200 imprisoned and more than 400 exiled.

Loneliness and Memories, Syrian Refugees Struggle in Safe Spaces

Monday, January 11, 2016

ZARQa, Jordan, Jan 11 (IPS) - Emelline Mahmoud Ilyas is an outgoing 35-year-old mother of three from Syria. Sitting in a community centre in Zarqa, Jordan, where she just held a meeting with Jordanian and Syrian parents on the subject of childcare, she remembers the 'journey of death' that led her family to the Hashemite Kingdom.

Syrian Government to Allow Aid, Loosening the Stranglehold on Madaya

Friday, January 08, 2016

ROME, Jan 08 (IPS) - The Syrian government says it will allow humanitarian aid into the besieged rebel-held town of Madaya, according to the United Nations, following reports and horrific pictures of residents starving to death. Aid is expected to reach the area by Monday, but for some it is too little and too late.

CPJ: Two Thirds of 2015 Journalist Deaths were Acts of Reprisal

Friday, January 01, 2016

ROME, Jan 01 (IPS) - Of the 69 journalists who died on the job in 2015, 40 per cent were killed by Islamic militant groups like Al-Qaeda and Islamic State. Startlingly more than two-thirds were targeted for murder, according to a special report by the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Syria ­- A Light to the World

Thursday, December 31, 2015

BELFAST, Dec 31 (IPS) - In November 2015 I visited Syria together with an International Peace delegation. This was my third visit to Syria in the last three years. As on previous occasions I was moved by the spirit of resilience and courage of the people of Syria.

Human Rights in Turkey: Is Turkish Press Freedom in Danger?

Monday, December 21, 2015

, Dec 21 (IPS) - The last week of November marked another phase of an ongoing shift in the Turkish Government´s approach to human rights issues – Two important events highlighted the ongoing attack freedom of press is suffering in Turkey. First two prominent Turkish journalists were arrested after publishing a story claiming that members of the state intelligence agency had provided weapons to Syrian rebels; second, lawyer and leading human rights defender and Tahir Elçi, President of the Diyarbakir Bar Association in south eastern Turkey, was killed in crossfire while making a press statement on Saturday 28th of November.

UN Discovery of secret detention centre, reopens all nightmares

Monday, December 21, 2015

COLOMBO Sri Lanka, Dec 21 (IPS) - Details of a secret detention center, where serious human rights abuses took place, deep inside the sprawling Tricomalee Naval base in the east of Sri Lanka are slowly emerging.

Alaa Arsheed: A Refugee’s Sweet Sound of Success

Friday, December 18, 2015

ROME, Dec 18 (IPS) - "In Beirut I was like a bird in a cage, I felt like a prisoner. Today, I have the chance to let my dreams come true, make a living with my music, realizing my dad's project: open a new Alpha – my family's cultural center, destroyed during the war- to share Syrian culture and help my people in Europe," Alaa Arsheed, a Syrian refugee, told IPS.

Analysis: Kurdish-led peace conference is best hope for Syria

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

ISTANBUL, Turkey, Dec 16 (IPS) - While the war in Syria continues to draw in more outside forces, the work towards finding a political solution to this five-year old conflict carries on. In the past week, no less than three separate conferences were organized by different clusters of opposition groups. Conferences were held in three places: Damascus, Dêrîk – a city in the Kurdish-controlled northern part of Syria – and Riyadh, the Saudi capital, respectively.

Afghan Refugees Right To Stay in Pakistan May Expire

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Dec 16 (IPS) - "We aren't happy here but cannot go back to our country because the situation there was extremely bad," Ghareeb Gul, Afghan refugees told IPS.