News headlines for “Arms Control”, page 3

1. As Treaties Collapse, Can We Still Prevent a Nuclear Arms Race?

Monday, February 04, 2019

BASEL, Switzerland, Feb 04 (IPS) - Christine Muttonen is a former Austrian parliamentarian who served as the President of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly from 2016-2017. Jacqueline Cabasso is the Executive Director of Western States Legal Foundation and the North America Coordinator for Mayors for Peace. Alyn Ware is Global Coordinator for Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament and Disarmament Program Director for the World Future Council.

The United States last week officially announced it is walking away from the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, an agreement made between the USA and the Soviet Union in 1987 to eliminate a whole class of nuclear weapons that had been deployed in Europe and had put the continent on a trip-wire to nuclear war.

2. Ethics for artificial intelligence

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, Jan 29 (IPS) - Owing to our varied circumstances and experiences, there are contradictory tendencies to either exaggerate or underestimate the power and importance of artificial intelligence (AI) in contemporary society.

3. Back to the Future: Vietnam Now and Then

Monday, January 28, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jan 28 (IPS) - In 1989 I watched Back to the Future, Part II by Robert Zemickis, a complicated story about a youngster who from 1985 time travelled to 2015. Within the movie I spotted a poster from the imaginary 2015: US AIR Surf Vietnam. Back in 1989 I associated Vietnam with the war that lasted from 1955 to the fall of Saigon in 1975 and by different media was brought into the homes of millions, radicalizing and engaging youngsters, not the least me.

4. Why Are so Many Humanitarian Crises Under-reported?

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

NORWICH, UK, Jan 22 (IPS) - Dr Martin Scott* is a Senior Lecturer in Media and International Development at the University of East Anglia, UK.

According to a recent poll of aid agencies by the Thomson Reuters Foundation, the most under-reported crisis of 2018 was the conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

5. Strangers in the Land: A Congolese Murder Case

Monday, January 21, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jan 21 (IPS) - A man walks down the street.
    It's a street in a strange world.
    Maybe it's the Third World.
    Maybe it's his first time around.
    He doesn't speak the language.
    He holds no currency.
    He is a foreign man.
    He is surrounded by the sound.
    The sound!
    Cattle in the marketplace,
    scatterlings and orphanages.
    He looks around, around.

I thought about this song by Paul Simon while I in 2011 spent a few weeks in Kinshasa. I was a foreign man in a strange world, surrounded by sights and sounds, completely dependent on my new-found Congolese friends. When our taxi got stuck in a traffic jam and we had to walk to our destination I was stopped by a group of heavily armed youngsters, lead by a man who claimed to be a policeman, charging me with an exaggerated high fine for taking photos within a restricted area.

6. Acts of Terror Will Not Undermine Our Resolve

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 16 (IPS) - Siddharth Chatterjee is the United Nations Resident Coordinator to Kenya.

On 15 January 2019, terror struck Nairobi's 14 Riverside Drive. Kenya is in mourning following a senseless act on innocent and defenseless civilians by individuals preoccupied with contemptible and misplaced ideology; who hope to intimidate others through violent acts of terror. Like in their other past attempts, they have failed, and Kenya remains unbowed.

7. Preventing a New Euro-Missile Race

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

WASHINGTON DC, Jan 09 (IPS) - Daryl G. Kimball is Executive Director, Arms Control Association.

Next month, it is very likely the Trump administration will take the next step toward fulfilling the president's threat to "terminate" one of the most far-reaching and most successful nuclear arms reduction agreements: the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, which led to the verifiable elimination of 2,692 Soviet and U.S. missiles based in Europe.

8. One Hundred Years of Solitude: Memories and Genocide

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

STOCKHOLM/ROME, Jan 09 (IPS) - Denis Villeneuve´s film Blade Runner 2049 depicts a future where "bioengineered replicants" are used as slaves and killed if they misbehave. Replicants are manufactured and individualized as if they were real humans. They are even implanted with artificial memories, a measure intended to make them more "mental stable", able to cope with their wretch existence as slave labourers. Dr. Ana Stelline, a character in the movie, explains how she manufactures memories:

9. Renew Nuclear Arms Control, Don’t Destroy It

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

NEW YORK, Jan 02 (IPS) - Andrew Lichterman is Senior Research Analyst for Western States Legal Foundation, based in Oakland, California. John Burroughs is Executive Director of Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy, based in New York City.

A hard-earned lesson of the Cold War is that arms control reduces the risk of nuclear war by limiting dangerous deployments and, even more important, by creating channels of communication and understanding. But President Donald Trump and his National Security Advisor John Bolton appear to have forgotten, or never learned, that lesson.

10. Of Cockroaches and Humans

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Rita Levi-Montalcini, the Italian Nobel laureate honoured for her work in neurobiology, once gave a splendid conference with the title "The imperfect brain". There she explained that man has a brain that is not used completely, while the reverse is true for the cockroach. In the growing fog that envelops the planet and its inhabitants, looking at things from the point of view of a cockroach would probably give us a new perspective. Also because the cockroach survived the atomic bomb in Nagasaki, it is 300 million years old, and it is distributed around the planet in over 4,000 species. All things that give it a great advantage over man.

Web feed for Arms Control news headlines