News headlines for “G8: Too Much Power?”, page 2

1. Can the Kenyan Lion Kick High Enough to Be the South Korean Tiger of Africa?

Monday, October 16, 2017

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 16 (IPS) - In 1953 South Korea emerged from the ravages of a debilitating war, yet the total gross domestic product in nominal terms has surged 31,000 fold since 1953.

2. Hunger in Africa, Land of Plenty

Saturday, October 14, 2017

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 14 (IPS) - Globally, 108 million people faced food crises in 2016, compared to about 80 million in 2015 – an increase of 35%, according to the 2017 Global Report on Food Crises. Another 123 million people were ‘stressed', contributing to around 230 million such food insecure people in 2016, of whom 72% were in Africa.

3. How to Change the Future of Migration

Saturday, October 14, 2017

ROME, Oct 14 (IPS) - The world is on the move. More people have been forced to flee their homes than at any time since the Second World War due to increased conflict and political instability, hunger, poverty, and an increase in extreme weather events linked to climate change.

4. Not True that Hunger Doesn’t Discriminate -- It Does

Friday, October 13, 2017

ROME, Oct 13 (IPS) - In a world where only 8 individuals – all of them men—possess as much as half of all the planet's wealth, and it will take women 170 years to be paid as men are*, inequality appears to be a key feature of the current economic model. Now a new study reveals that there is also a widening gap in hunger.

5. Forcing Displaced Nigerians May Worsen Humanitarian Crisis

Friday, October 13, 2017

Maiduguri City, Nigeria, Oct 13 (IPS) - Haja grabbed her eight children and fled as Boko Haram set her home ablaze two years ago. Today we sit in her hut in a displacement camp, and she wonders how she is going to keep her children fed. I've spoken to many families in Nigeria's north-eastern Monguno town. Their stories paint a horrifically detailed picture of the brutal violence these communities have endured over the past eight years.

6. Transforming Agriculture in Africa

Thursday, October 12, 2017

ABIDJAN, Côte d'Ivoire, Oct 12 (IPS) - The African rural world is one I know well. I grew out of rural poverty myself and went to a rural school without electricity and lived in a village where we had to walk for kilometers to find water. We had to study after dark with candles or kerosene lanterns. By God's grace, I made it out of poverty to where I am today. But for tens of millions of those in similar situations, especially in rural Africa, the outcomes are not like mine. For most, the potential has simply been wasted.

7. Biotechnology Part of the Solution to Africa’s Food Insecurity, Scientists Say

Thursday, October 12, 2017

NAIROBI, Oct 12 (IPS) - A growing number of African countries are increasingly becoming food insecure as delayed and insufficient rainfall, as well as crop damaging pests such as the ongoing outbreak of the fall armyworm, cause the most severe maize crisis in the last decade.

8. World Bank Must Stop Encouraging Harmful Tax Competition

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 10 (IPS) - One of the 11 areas that the World Bank's Doing Business (DB) report includes in ranking a country's business environment is paying taxes. The background study for DB 2017, Paying Taxes 2016 claims that its emphasis is "on efficient tax compliance and straightforward tax regimes".

9. How to Eradicate Rural Poverty, End Urban Malnutrition – A New Approach

Monday, October 09, 2017

ROME, Oct 09 (IPS) - Population growth, increasing urbanisation, modern technologies, and climate change are transforming the world at a fast pace. But what direction are these transformations headed in? Are they benefitting the poor and the food insecure? And will the food systems of the future be able to feed and employ the millions of young people poised to enter labour markets in the decades to come?

10. Alternative Financing Strategies to Boost Small Businesses in Africa

Thursday, October 05, 2017

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 05 (IPS) - A few years ago, more than half a century after the concept was first proposed, the government of Côte d'Ivoire completed construction of the Henri Konan Bédié Bridge, a span over the Ébrié Lagoon linking the north and south of Abidjan, the country's main city. The project became a reality after the government received development bank and private capital financing.

Web feed for G8: Too Much Power? news headlines