News headlines for “Democracy”, page 2

1. Authoritarian Govts Tighten Grip on Press Freedom

Sunday, April 22, 2018

ROME, Apr 22 (IPS) - The 25th celebration of World Press Freedom Day will be led by UNESCO and the government of Ghana in Accra on May 2-3. The theme is "Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law," covering the issues of media in respect to the judicial system and transparent political processes.

2. Child Soldiers Released, But Risk Remains

Friday, April 20, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 20 (IPS) - More than 200 child soldiers were released by armed groups in war-torn South Sudan, and help will be needed to ensure their safe and bright future, according to a UN agency. The release took place in Western Equatoria State and follows a similar release last month that saw 300 children freed.

3. Argentina Aims for a Delicate Climate Balance in the G20

Friday, April 20, 2018

BUENOS AIRES, Apr 20 (IPS) - As president this year of the Group of 20 (G20) developed and emerging nations, Argentina has now formally begun the task of trying to rebuild a consensus around climate change. It will be an uphill climb, since the position taken by the United States in 2017 led to a noisy failure in the group with regard to the issue.

4. Latin America Faces Uphill Energy Transition

Thursday, April 19, 2018

BERLIN, Apr 19 (IPS) - Latin America is facing challenges in energy efficiency, transportation and power generation to move towards a low carbon economy and thus accelerate that transition, which is essential to cut emissions in order to reduce global warming before it reaches a critical level.

5. Football Greats Line up for Match for Solidarity

Thursday, April 19, 2018

GENEVA, Apr 19 (IPS) - A host of footballing greats have confirmed their participation in the Match for Solidarity organised by UEFA and the United Nations in Geneva.013 - Ronaldinho and Figo to captain all-star teams to raise money for charity in joint UEFA-UN initiative

6. Homebound: Hardship Awaits Internally Displaced Iraqis

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 18 (IPS) - With upcoming elections in May, the Iraqi government is urging Internally Displaced People (IDPs) to return home. After the defeat of ISIS in December 2017, an increase in security and number of returnees to their region of origin is expected; however, many IDPs see no way to leave the camps just yet.

7. After More Than a Decade, Rights of Indigenous Peoples Not Fully Realized

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 18 (IPS) - Miroslav Lajčák, is President of the UN General Assembly First, I want to talk about how we got here. It was nearly 100 years ago, when indigenous peoples first asserted their rights, on the international stage. But, they did not see much progress. At least until 1982 - when the first Working Group on Indigenous Populations was established.

8. DR Congo’s Mai-Ndombe Forest ‘Savaged’ As Landless Communities Struggle

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

INONGO, Democratic Republic of Congo, Apr 17 (IPS) - Thousands of logs loaded into makeshift boats at the port of Inongo at Lake Mai-Ndombe stand ready to be transported to Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

9. A Child of War Dedicates Herself to Peace

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

PARIS, Apr 17 (IPS) - UNESCO Courier*"I was so angry, I felt like I wanted to blow up the whole world, but I didn't. I decided I wouldn't be pushed to become evil. I would choose peace."Dalia Al-Najjar has crammed a great deal into her short life. At 22, the Palestinian refugee has already lived through three wars and has spent every spare moment between siege and ceasefire studying, volunteering, working, blogging, on the daily struggle to live in Gaza – and planning how to change the future.

10. Keeping Power in Check – Media, Justice and the Rule of Law

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

NAPIER, New Zealand, Apr 17 (IPS) - This article is part of a series of stories and op-eds launched by IPS on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day on May 3.Rarely has the press been as powerful as it is today. Thanks to the advent of social media, the use of which has grown exponentially, the combination of the formal press, newspapers, television and radio is now strengthened, and itself even kept in check by social media. Jo and Joanne citizen have found a voice, not infrequently with the power of a political and social tsunami.

Web feed for Democracy news headlines