News headlines for “Democracy”, page 4

1. Strengthening Ban on Chemical Weapons: The Case of Syria

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

2. Keeping Jewelry Companies Accountable: Where Do Our Gold and Diamonds Come From?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 27 (IPS) - How many people know where their gold and diamond jewelry comes from?

How many people consider the human cost of its production?

3. Security Council Resolutions are Meaningful Only When Implemented

Monday, February 26, 2018

GENEVA, Feb 26 (IPS) - António GuterresUN Secretary-General, in his address to the Human Rights CouncilAs this is the first time I have the opportunity to address a UN body after the Security Council resolution of last Saturday on Syria, allow me please to say a few words in that regard.

4. UN Relies on DNA for Paternity Claims Against Sexually Abusive Peacekeepers

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 26 (IPS) - As sexual abuse and paternity claims continue to rise against UN peacekeepers overseas, the United Nations is actively collaborating with troop contributing countries (TCC) in collecting DNA samples: a protocol introduced back in 2014.

5. Centre Inaugurates Panel Exhibition at the United Nations Office at Geneva on the Theme of “Veiling/Unveiling”

GENEVA, Feb 26 (IPS) - The Geneva Centre for Human Rights Advancement and Global Dialogue has inaugurated its exhibition to explore the history and the religio-cultural roots of the headscarf.

6. Understanding Child Soldier Recruitment Needed to Help Curb Crisis

Friday, February 23, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 23 (IPS) - It is not known exactly how many child soldiers there are in the world, but current estimates tell us that in 2018, the number is likely to be in the tens of thousands.

7. For the Rural Poor of Peru, the Social Agenda is Far Away

Thursday, February 22, 2018

HUARO, Peru, Feb 22 (IPS) - "The day will come when people do not have to go to the cities to overcome poverty," says Elmer Pinares, mayor of an Andean highlands municipality in Cuzco, in southern Peru, where malnutrition and lack of support for subsistence farming are among the main problems.

8. Demonizing OXFAM – Fair or Foul?

Thursday, February 22, 2018

KATHMANDU, Nepal, Feb 22 (IPS) - Kul Chandra Gautam is a former UN Assistant Secretary-General & Deputy Executive Director of the UN children's agency, UNICEFAs a member of OXFAM GB's Council of Trustees since 2014, I have received many queries about the recent scandal concerning sexual misconduct committed by some OXFAM staff in Haiti in 2011 and elsewhere. I appreciate the concerns expressed as well as many messages of solidarity and support for OXFAM in the face of the relentless onslaught of criticism – both fair and foul.

9. Migration Should Not be Politicized, Warns General Assembly President

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 21 (IPS) - Miroslav Lajčákis President of the UN General AssemblyThis week, we began intergovernmental negotiations on the Global Compact on Migration. Therefore, it has never been more important to have a fact-based discussion on this issue.

To start us off, I want to make main three points. First, I want to stress that migration is a fact. It is not an idea. It is not a theory. It is not a trend. It is a fact.

10. Crowd-sourced Data and a Mobile Phone Application Are Making Cities Safer for Women

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, Feb 21 (IPS) - When Shiba Kurian alighted from Chennai's city train, the evening office-returning crowd was thick and jostling. Having booked a ride-hail cab she walked out to the entrance. Instead of the cab for which she had to wait an hour, ribald comments and derisive laughter came her way from a group of roadside Romeos.

Web feed for Democracy news headlines