News headlines for “Global Financial Crisis”, page 5

1. Rethinking Free Trade Agreements in Uncertain Times

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, Jan 08 (IPS) - After US President Donald Trump withdrew from Obama's Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), involving twelve countries on the Pacific rim, on his first day in office, Japan, Australia and their closest allies proposed and promoted the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) to draw the US back into the region to counter China's fast-growing power and influence.

2. Time for a new Paradigm

ROME, Jan 08 (IPS) - Roberto Savio is founder of IPS Inter Press Service and President Emeritus

The person most qualified to write the foreword for this latest work by Riccardo Petrella, In the Name of Humanity, would actually be Pope Francis, who, using other words but speaking of values and making denouncements, has often argued what the reader will find in the following pages. I quote him, because words like "solidarity", "equality", "social justice" or "participation" – now used only by Pope Francis I – have now disappeared from today's political vocabulary.

I was called to this task because I have spent my life in favour of information that would give citizens the tools to be conscious actors. But the reason why from a "professional" I have become an "activist" in the campaign for world governance is precisely because I see information as directly responsible for the drift in which we find ourselves.

3. Local Innovation Facilitates Solidarity-Based Biogas Networks in Cuba

HAVANA, Jan 08 (IPS) - Black plastic pipes, readily available on the mainly empty shelves of Cuba's shops, distribute biogas to homes in the rural town of La Macuca, buried under the ground or running through the grass and stones in people's yards.

4. Stopping Criminals from Laundering Their Trillions

Monday, January 07, 2019

WASHINGTON DC, Jan 07 (IPS) - Rhoda Weeks-Brown is general counsel and director of the Legal Department at the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

Al Capone had a problem: he needed a way to disguise the enormous amounts of cash generated by his criminal empire as legitimate income. His solution was to buy all-cash laundromats, mix dirty money in with clean, and then claim that washing ordinary Americans' shirts and socks, rather than gambling and bootlegging, was the source of his riches.

5. Veterans of the Global Financial Crisis Pass their Wisdom on to the Next Generation

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

WASHINGTON DC, Jan 02 (IPS) - Chris Wellisz is on the staff of Finance & Development at the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

It happened again and again in a career punctuated by upheavals: the peso crisis of 1994, the Asian crisis of 1997, and finally, the big one—the global financial crisis of 2008.

6. Aborted Fuel Tax Initiative in France: Its Ramifications for Green Growth

Thursday, December 27, 2018

PARIS, Dec 27 (IPS) - Mizan Khan, Ph.D., is professor, Environmental Management, North South University, and currently, visiting professor, School of Public Policy, University of Maryland, College Park, USA. Dr Dereje Senshaw – Principal Scientist at Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)Emmanuel Macron was voted to French Presidency in 2017 with the mission of strengthening the integration of the European Union and pursuing economic and ecological reforms. So from the outset, he was set to distinguish himself, not just in Europe but on the world stage, especially after President Trump pulled the United States out of the Paris Agreement. So Macron held the summit meeting on `One Planet' in Paris last December to push for stronger environment and climate policy. He also spoke of the environment when he addressed the Congress in April 2018, stating that "Let us face it: There is no Planet B."i

7. Changing the Gender Bias in Agriculture

Saturday, December 22, 2018

WAGENINGEN, the Netherlands, Dec 22 (IPS) - Women entrepreneurs are playing an important role in transforming global food security for economic growth, but they have to work twice as hard as men to succeed in agribusiness.

8. BAPA+40: An Opportunity to Reenergize South-South Cooperation

Friday, December 21, 2018

GENEVA, Dec 21 (IPS) - Branislav Gosovic, worked in UNCTAD, UNEP, UNECLAC, World Commission on Environment and Development, South Commission, and South Centre (1991-2005), and is the author of the recently-published book ‘The South Shaping the Global Future, 6 Decades of the South-North Development Struggle in the UN.'

The upcoming conference on the Buenos Aires Plan of Action (BAPA+40), scheduled to take place in the Argentine capital on 20-22 March 2019, ought to be more than just another UN conference where the developing countries assemble to present their demands and seek support from the North.

9. Ghana’s Contribution to Plastic Waste Can Be Reduced with the Right Investment

Friday, December 21, 2018

ACCRA, Dec 21 (IPS) - Twelve-year-old Naa Adjeley lives in Glefe, a waterlogged area that is one of the biggest slums along the west coast of Accra, Ghana. The sixth grade student, his parents and three siblings use 30 single-use plastic bags per day for breakfast.

10. ‘Men-streaming’ Women’s Economic Empowerment

Thursday, December 20, 2018

NEW DELHI, Dec 20 (IPS) - Most initiatives around Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE) are largely myopic in their approach. Failure to recognise the role of men and masculinities in this context can pose a significant barrier to both women and men's economic well-being.

Web feed for Global Financial Crisis news headlines