News headlines for “Middle East and North Africa Unrest”, page 7

1. Egypt Begs Gulf for Rescue

- Inter Press Service

CAIRO, Dic 01 (IPS) - "Subsidies from the Arab world are large and reflect Arabs' love towards the Egyptian people, but we cannot depend on that to build an economy that can compete with other countries," said economist Dr Alia el Mahdi.

2. From Tehran to Tokyo, U.S. Geo-Strategic Shifts in Motion

- Inter Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov 29 (IPS) - From the Middle East to the East China Sea, the last week's events have offered a particularly vivid example of the much-heralded shift in foreign policy priorities under the administration of President Barack Obama.

3. Spring Bursts Among the Toubou in Libya´s Desert

- Inter Press Service

MURZUQ, Libya, Nov 26 (IPS) - "Can there possibly be anything more satisfying than teaching your own language to your own people?" Abdel Salam Wahali remarked to IPS. He is a teacher of Tebu, an ancient language which is experiencing a boom in post-Gaddafi Libya.

4. Cairo Women Bring Men Back on the Rails

- Inter Press Service

CAIRO, Nov 14 (IPS) - Nihal Saad Zaghloul is an Egyptian woman in her late twenties. Like other young women, she faces the daily risk of sexual harassment on the streets of Cairo. But Egypt's revolution made her realise that people can unite and that she can make a difference.

5. OP-ED: Saudi Anger Masks Concern About Loss of Influence

- Inter Press Service

A story from Inter Press Service, an international news agency

WASHINGTON, Nov 12 (IPS) - Saudi Arabia's public anger against the United States masks the kingdom's growing concern about its diminishing influence in the Persian Gulf and the wider Arab world.

6. Syria’s Economy May Be Devastated for 30 Years

- Inter Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov 08 (IPS) - The almost three-year-old Syrian civil war has been a "silent war on human and economic development", destroying the ability of ordinary Syrian citizens to maintain basic livelihoods, according to a report launched here Wednesday by two United Nations agencies.

7. New Law Threatens to Choke Freedom in Egypt

- Inter Press Service

CAIRO, Nov 07 (IPS) - Demonstrations have been at the heart of historic upheavals in Egypt since January 2011. But a newly proposed law that seeks to regulate protests could imperil one of the biggest gains of the Arab Spring revolution here: freedom of expression.

8. Cracks Widen in U.S.-Saudi Alliance

- Inter Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov 07 (IPS) - While Monday's meeting between Secretary of State John Kerry and Saudi King Abdullah may have helped calm the waters, the latest anxieties and anger expressed by Riyadh toward the United States has reignited debate here about the value of the two countries' long-standing alliance.

9. ‘I Sold My Sister for 300 Dollars’

- Inter Press Service

ZAATARI CAMP, Jordan, Nov 06 (IPS) - Amani has just turned 22. Two months ago she fled from the civil war in Syria and left her house in capital Damascus. After a dangerous nightlong trip she arrived at Zaatari, the refugee camp just over the border in Jordan, where her parents and two sisters had already lived for over a year.

10. For Kurdish Women, It’s a Double Revolution

- Inter Press Service

QAMISHLI, Syria, Nov 04 (IPS) - "I got married when I was 14 and I already had four children at 20," recalls Nafia Brahim. In her fifties now, she is working hard so that no other woman loses control of her life.