Rio+20 UN Conference on Sustainable Development
Author and Page information
This print version has been auto-generated from http://www.globalissues.org/article/800/rio-20
On this page:
Twenty years ago at the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio, countries adopted
Agenda 21 — a blueprint to rethink economic growth, advance social equity and ensure environmental protection.
Marking the 20th anniversary of that conference (and the 10th anniversary of the 2002 World Summit1 on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg), this June sees the UN organizing another Conference on Sustainable Development and is bringing together thousands of participants from governments, the private sector, NGOs and other groups, to agree on a range of measures to reduce poverty, promoting decent jobs, clean energy and a more sustainable and fair use of resources.
The Rio+20 Conference will include Heads of State and Government or other representatives hoping to get an agreed and focused political document.
Unsurprisingly getting governments to agree on this kind of thing is full of challenges to say the least, as many vested interests are involved.
News stories from IPS
Below is a list of stories from Inter Press Service related to the conference
- Sustainable Development Introduction
- Addressing Biodiversity Loss
- Rio+20 UN Conference on Sustainable Development
- Poverty and the Environment
- Non-governmental Organizations on Development Issues
- Foreign Aid for Development Assistance
- Water and Development
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Energy Security
- Brain Drain of Workers from Poor to Rich Countries
(Note that listed here are only those hyperlinks to other articles from other web sites or elsewhere on this web site. Other sources such as journal, books and magazines, are mentioned above in the original text. Please also note that links to external sites are beyond my control. They might become unavailable temporarily or permanently since you read this, depending on the policies of those sites, which I cannot unfortunately do anything about.)
- Global Issues: “World Summit on Sustainable Development”, Last updated: Saturday, September 07, 2002, http://www.globalissues.org/article/366/world-summit-on-sustainable-development
Back to top