This page lists recent changes made to this site such as new pages, or updates to existing sections. The "Find Out More" links will take you to the changes. If this jumps to the middle of a page, you can easily scroll up to understand the context of the new information a bit further.
Date of Update
September 29, 2002
- The Arms Trade spending section has been updated with new information about spending in 2001. The latest figures show 2001 with a decline (mostly due to poor economic conditions worldwide) in an otherwise generally rising trend in the period 1994-2001. Top sellers over a number of years were generally unchanged, with the United States, Russia France, and United Kingdom typically dominating sales, while the top buyers were typically from the Middle East, though increasing in Asia as well. Buyers in the developing world (some 60 to 70% of all sales were to the developing world) have been heavily concentrated in just a few nations, such as Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, China, and Taiwan. The world continues to spend some 800 billion dollars annually on military spending. Compare that to say the United Nations' 10 billion dollar budget, set up after World War II for "preserving peace through international cooperation and collective security." Find Out More »
- Related Section(s): Arms Trade / Geopolitics / United Nations and Development
- Updates to the World Summit on Sustainable Development page have been added. The updates include an overview of the outcome of the summit, with additional links to detailed analysis and further information. Find Out More »
- Related Section(s): Sustainable Development / Trade and Economic Issues / Environmental Issues
- Some additional links to other web sites and articles have been added on the issue of hunger. These links include those that look at industrial agriculture as well as issues related to land rights, hunger and agriculture. Find Out More »
- Related Section(s): Food Dumping / Poverty and Hunger / Trade Related Issues
- A few additional articles on various aspects of the so called "war on terror" have been posted. Articles include those on the issue of the media, on ideology, geopolitics, and the war on freedom. Find Out More »
- Related Section(s): Middle East / Geopolitics
Check out what was new in:
Get notified when there are new updates
GlobalIssues.org provides various ways you can be notified when there is new content:
- Sign up for free email updates
- Try the
- Follow globalissues.org on facebook or
Tip: how to to highlight updated parts of pages
Most updates are made to existing pages. This is how you can quickly view them:
- If you have a modern browser, look for the Last Updated date text near the top of the article.
- If the text is underlined, you can select it.
- This will bring up a list of dates when the page was updated. (Note only dates since the beginning of 2004, when this new feature was created, will show up.)
- When you select a date, the text that was updated on that date will be highlighted.
- As you scroll down the page, you will see those highlighted sections.