What’s New February 2009
This page lists changes to this site for February 2009.
The Israeli offensive on Hamas in the Gaza Strip on 27th December, 2008 ended on January 17, 2009 when both Hamas and Israel announced separate ceasefires, which have turned out to be quite fragile. The 3 week offensive claimed some 1,300 Palestinian lives, 400 of which were children. Another 5,000 were injured including some 1,800 children and 800 women. 13 Israelis were also killed. How did this crisis come about and what were some of the issues raised?
This update includes notes about securitization and how banks were exposed by these complex instruments leading to the subprime crisis. Also added more information on derivatives, futures and other forms of risk management that backfired and contributed to the current financial meltdown.
You can also
- View changes in other months and years in the What’s New Archives
- Get notified when there are new updates
- See a tip on how to highlight the updated text of listed pages
Check out what was new in:
Get notified when there are new updates
GlobalIssues.org provides various ways you can be notified when there is new content:
Tip: how to to highlight updated parts of pages
Most updates are made to existing pages. This is how you can quickly view them:
- If you have a modern browser, look for the Last Updated date text near the top of the article.
- If the text is underlined, you can select it.
- This will bring up a list of dates when the page was updated. (Note only dates since the beginning of 2004, when this new feature was created, will show up.)
- When you select a date, the text that was updated on that date will be highlighted.
- As you scroll down the page, you will see those highlighted sections.