What’s New October 2014

This page lists changes to this site for October 2014.

See below for other updates and to get notified of changes to the site.

The permanent link for this update is:

An overview of the Ebola virus outbreak in West Africa that has been described by the World Health Organization as the largest, most severe and most complex outbreak in the history of the disease.

The epidemic began at the end of 2013, in Guinea. From there it spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Senegal. Many of the affected countries face enormous challenges in stopping its spread and providing care for all patients.

Thousands of people have died and many are at risk as the fatality rate from this virus is very high. As the crisis worsens, as well as the enormous health challenges involved, the social and economic consequences may set these countries back, reversing some gains a number of these countries have made in recent years.

This new page includes more information on the above issues.

Related Issues:

The OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) recently published new preliminary figures for aid in 2013.

It showed official development assistance (ODA) aid from wealthy governments had increased to just under $135 billion in 2013 (at constant 2012 prices). This is roughly 0.3% of GNI (Gross National Income) of the donor nations.

Net ODA in dollars: the US provided the most in dollar terms. As a percent of their GNI, Norway provided the most

Yet, over 40 years ago nations promised to reach 0.7% of their GNI by the mid-1970s. While each year the amount of aid falls quite short of that 0.7% target (less than half of that target), the quality and effectiveness of that aid is often questionable, sometimes benefiting the donor more than the recipient due to the types of conditions attached to this aid.

This update includes a number of new and updated charts and graphs.

Over 40 years ago, rich country governments agreed to give 0.7% of their GNI (Gross National Income) as official aid to poor countries for development assistance.

The average aid delivered each year has actually been between 0.2 to 0.4%. The shortfall has therefore accumulated to almost $5 trillion dollars at 2012 prices, while total aid delivered in that same time frame has reached $3.6 trillion.

Year after year, the accumulated shortfall increases at almost a steady rate. Overall, only 42% of total possible aid has been delivered. The other 58% has been a shortfall

This update includes updated charts and graphs that look into this further.

You can also

Get notified when there are new updates

GlobalIssues.org provides various ways you can be notified when there is new content:

  1. Sign up for free email updates
  2. Try the Web Feed
  3. Follow globalissues.org on or

Tip: how to to highlight updated parts of pages

Most updates are made to existing pages. This is how you can quickly view them:

  1. If you have a modern browser, look for the Last Updated date text near the top of the article.
  2. If the text is underlined, you can select it.
  3. This will bring up a list of dates when the page was updated. (Note only dates since the beginning of 2004, when this new feature was created, will show up.)
  4. When you select a date, the text that was updated on that date will be highlighted.
  5. As you scroll down the page, you will see those highlighted sections.