News headlines for “Trade, Economy, & Related Issues”, page 2

1. Nuclear-Armed Powers Squander $156.000 Every Minute on Their ‘MAD’ Policy

- Inter Press Service

MADRID, Jun 24 (IPS) - They call it MAD: Mutual Assured Destruction. It is about the nuclear-armed powers' doctrine of military strategy and national security policy. And they spent on their MAD policy more than 156.000 US dollars, every single minute, in just one year–2021.

2. Digital Technology Buoys Indonesian Catfish Farmers

- Inter Press Service

INDRAMAYU, Indonesia, Jun 24 (IPS) - For years Indramayu has been known as one of Indonesia’s rice centres. The district in West Java is the country’s number one rice producer, generating 1.3 million tons of husked rice in 2021, according to Indonesia’s Centre of Statistics (BPS). The country’s total rice production was 54 million tons.

3. Across Asia and the Pacific, Digitalization of Rural Communities is Leading the Way to a Better Future - But the Goal is to Leave No One Behind

- Inter Press Service

BANGKOK, Jun 24 (IPS) - It wasn’t that long ago that Internet connectivity faded the moment one left a populated area like a city or big town – “no service” was the take-away message back then. But thanks to 3G, 4G and now 5G mobile technology, coupled with widespread installation of cellular towers in rural areas region-wide, that little message shows up much less frequently.

4. A Frightening View: Inside the Eye of the ‘Hurricane of Hunger’

- Inter Press Service

NEW ORLEANS, Jun 24 (IPS) - When I first met Dr. Roland Bunch, I have to be honest—he scared me. As one of the most well-respected leaders on agronomy and resilient land management, he offers extremely prescient predictions on how famines take root when soils fail—and also has an admirably clear-eyed view of what we need to do better.

5. Why Aren't More Women Angry?

- Inter Press Service

PORTLAND, USA, Jun 23 (IPS) - Why aren’t more women angry about their subordination, discrimination, and unequal treatment in the 21st century? Of course, some of the world’s women are angry, but they are comparatively few.

6. Indigenous Communities Want Stake in the New Deal to Protect Nature

- Inter Press Service

BULAWAYO, Zimbabwe, Jun 23 (IPS) - In early June 2022, more than 30 people from the Maasai community in the Loliondo division in Tanzania’s northern Ngorongoro District were reportedly injured, and one person died following clashes with security forces over the demarcation of their ancestral lands for a new game reserve.

7. Transgender People Gain Their Place in Argentine Society

- Inter Press Service

BUENOS AIRES, Jun 23 (IPS) - "At the age of 35, with a document that says who I really am, I went back to school and finished my studies, which I had left at 14 because I could no longer bear the bullying and mistreatment," said Florencia Guimaraes, a transgender woman whose life was changed by Argentina's Gender Identity Law.

8. Missing Women in Peru - Pain that Never Ends

- Inter Press Service

LIMA, Jun 22 (IPS) - "They mustn’t stop looking for her," said Patricia Acosta, mother of Estéfhanny Díaz, who went missing on Apr. 24, 2016, along with her five-year-old and eight-month-old daughters, after attending a children's birthday party in Mi Perú, a town in the coastal province of Callao, next to the Peruvian capital.

9. Stronger Healthcare Systems Critical for Africa's Socioeconomic Transformation

- Inter Press Service

KIGALI, Jun 22 (IPS) - Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, healthcare systems globally have battled to deal with the repercussions unleashed by the disease. From the outset, Africa was considered particularly vulnerable due to several factors: limited healthcare provision in some areas, high prevalence of HIV and TB in a number of countries, and limited fiscal room to respond to the pandemic’s financial impacts.

10. The Sustainable Use of Wild Species is Important for Everyone

- Inter Press Service

BONN, Germany, Jun 22 (IPS) - You probably use wild species far more often than you realise. For many people, especially in more developed economies, the use of wild species sounds like something quite removed from their everyday lives – something perhaps more relevant to other people, in other countries.