News headlines for “Human Population”, page 3

1. In India, Ending FGM Demands Truth and Transparency

NOIDA, India, Nov 13 (IPS) - "My daughter is eight years old. In May 2017, I had her ‘Khatna,' her circumcision, done. I had taken her to a traditional cutter. Once back home I made her sleep on the bed. After some time, around 4:00 p.m. I took her to the bathroom, she was bleeding as if she had started her menses. It seemed like she was urinating blood. By 6:00 p.m. my daughter had been bleeding so heavily, the blood had soaked three bed sheets and I was very worried.  And my daughter was quiet and she also kept asking me if she will be fine." Excerpt from:  How I got her from the hands of death: WeSpeakOut study2018

2. Punches & Insults: Why Zimbabwe's Women Candidates Want to Change the Political Playing Field

BULAWAYO, Zimbabwe, Nov 06 (IPS) - "I have long given up on active politics," Gertrude Sidambe, a 36-year-old member of one of Zimbabwe's opposition parties, tells IPS.

When female members of the ruling Zimbabwe African National Union – Patriotic Front complained last month about political violence as male members chose brawn over brains to solicit for positions, the party's National Secretary for Women's Affairs Mabel Chinomona advised that they enter the punch-and-insult battlefield and "fight" like everyone else. 

3. Women in War-Ravaged Afghanistan Fight Back for Their Rights

KABUL, Afghanistan, Nov 05 (IPS) - Bullets, bombs, tyranny and torture. Children crying for food, civilians struggling to survive, women unable to walk out of their homes freely. When we are not under siege from bombs and landmines, ordinary Afghans suffer from hunger, natural hazards and poverty.

4. Forced Child Marriage & Conversion: Public Discussion & Legal Reforms Called for in Pakistan

KARACHI, Pakistan, Nov 04 (IPS) - October 13 began like any other day at the Lal house as Raja Lal and his wife Rita Raja left for work at 7:30 am.

"I made the usual breakfast of anda paratha (egg and flat bread) and told my eldest to lock the door from inside," Raja, who works as an ayah in a school, told IPS. Their 13-year old daughter, the youngest of their four children, did not go to school that day as her school shoes no longer fit and her parents hadn't bought her a new pair yet.

Little did they know that that day was the beginning of a nightmare for the Lal household. Their daughter would then allegedly be "abducted, forcefully converted and married in just one day", Lal, a Christian, told IPS.

5. Solving the Challenge of Food Security Key to Peacebuilding in the Sahel

BONN, Germany, Nov 03 (IPS) - In 2013, when Jamila Ben Baba started her company, the first privately owned slaughterhouse in Mali, she did so in the midst of a civil war as Tuareg rebels grouped together in an attempt to administer a new northern state called Azawad.

6. The Rape of India's Dalit Women: It’s All about Power & Subordination

HYDERABAD, India, Nov 02 (IPS) - Shabnam*, a young woman from Northern India's Haryana state, is two years away from becoming a law graduate. She sees parallels between her own rape and that of the 19-year-old Maha Dalit woman whose brutal rape and torture by a group of men from a "dominant" or "higher" caste in the neighbouring state of Uttar Pradesh triggered nationwide protests.

7. Q&A: COVID-19 has Pushed Women Peacebuilders from Key Leadership Roles

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 30 (IPS) - Women need to be given roles as negotiators, not just offered representation through advisory groups, Agnieszka Fal-Dutra Santos from the Global Network of Women Peacebuilders (GNWP) told IPS.

8. 20th Anniversary of UNSCR 1325: Much Remains to Be Done

NEW YORK, Oct 30 (IPS) - In 2010, at the opening session of the civil society forum observing the tenth anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on "Women and Peace and Security", I had the honor to declare 1325 as "the common heritage of humanity" indicating the wide-ranging nature of the potential benefits which will flow from the landmark resolution's full and effective implementation by all at all levels.

9. Nepal Needs to Bridge the Gap Between Legal Provisions Against Child Marriage and Social Norms

KATHMANDU, Oct 29 (IPS) - Mohan and Sarita (name changed) studied together in the same school from Grade 6 onwards. They were friends initially, but fell in love and wished to be together, though underage.

10. Cultivating a Eco-friendly Culture in Indonesia's Schools

JAKARTA, Oct 28 (IPS) - In West Jakarta, Indonesia, teachers at the private Santo Kristoforus High School are so environmentally conscious they make other schools seem a little bit green when it comes to environmental education.

"We integrate environmental issues into science, especially natural science subjects. At school we teach them to conserve water and electricity. And since we don't have a designated area for students to grow and learn about plants, we organise field trips to botanical gardens in the capital Jakarta and surrounding towns," teacher Senobius Santi told IPS.

Web feed for Human Population news headlines