News headlines for “Free Trade and Globalization”, page 3

1. COVID-19 Compounding Inequalities

KUALA LUMPUR and SYDNEY, Nov 17 (IPS) - The United Nations’ renamed World Social Report 2020 (WSR 2020) argued that income inequality is rising in most developed countries, and some middle-income countries, including China, the world’s fastest growing economy in recent decades.

2. African Languages Matter: Is There Still Time to Prevent Cultural Genocide?

ABIDJAN, Côte d’Ivoire, Nov 16 (IPS) - As a 10 year-old newly arrived in Lagos from England, I recall listening intently to how the Yoruba language - my father's language - was spoken. I would constantly repeat in my head or verbally repeat what I thought I had heard. I was not always successful. Many times, what would come out of my mouth would throw my friends into fits of laughter.

3. Secretive Mega-Trade Deal Rules Could Harm Asia’s Covid-19 Recovery

BANGKOK, Thailand, Nov 13 (IPS) - Fifteen countries will sign a mega-trade deal at the ASEAN conference this weekend imposing secretive restrictions on how governments help workers through the pandemic, trade union leaders and parliamentarians have warned.

4. The Armored Divisions of the European Union

Nov 12 (IPS) - An anecdote tells, never sufficiently confirmed, that in the hardest moments of the Second World War when Stalin was dictating his orders of battle to his subordinates, he was told that perhaps it would be advisable to consult with the Pope. The Soviet dictator replied: "And how many armored divisions does the Pope have?"

5. Vietnam Takes the Lead on Indo-Pacific Economic Integration

PERTH, Australia, Nov 12 (IPS) - This was the year that Vietnam was poised to make progress on its rise as a regional leader. Under the auspices of Vietnam's ASEAN chairmanship, a breakthrough in global trade has been achieved despite rising protectionism and a global pandemic.

6. Is Development for the World Bank Mainly Doing Business?

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 10 (IPS) - The World Bank has finally given up defending its controversial, but influential Doing Business Report (DBR). In August, the Bank "paused" publication of the DBR due to a "number of irregularities" after its much criticized ranking system was exposed as fraudulent.

7. From Paraguay to Italy: Development at All Costs

BRUSSELS, Nov 09 (IPS) - I am speaking with Gladys and Raúl about civic space in Paraguay, when Raúl suddenly tells me about the fires. Thick smoke has reached the capital Asunción where he is based. In October, Paraguay became Dante's Inferno.

8. Pandemic Induced Drop in Remittance Flows to South Asia

CANBERRA, Australia, Nov 06 (IPS) - Remittances are an essential part of economic activity in low and middle-income countries (LMIC), including those in South Asia.

9. South Africa has Failed to Harness the Digital Revolution: How It Can Fix the Problem

Nov 05 (IPS) - The COVID-19 pandemic has precipitated a migration from physical work spaces in many sectors of the economy to online, digital services, supported by staff working from home. Parts of the economy such as mining, manufacturing and hospitality still require workers to be physically present. But other sectors have discovered that virtual platforms are effective substitutes for offices.

10. Solving the Challenge of Food Security Key to Peacebuilding in the Sahel

BONN, Germany, Nov 03 (IPS) - In 2013, when Jamila Ben Baba started her company, the first privately owned slaughterhouse in Mali, she did so in the midst of a civil war as Tuareg rebels grouped together in an attempt to administer a new northern state called Azawad.

Web feed for Free Trade and Globalization news headlines