Biodiversity Links for more Information
Author and Page information
This print version has been auto-generated from https://www.globalissues.org/article/176/biodiversity-links
There are so many online sites related to biodiversity, conservation, environment etc, that the following barely scratches the surface, but will also lead you to other sources of information.
- The Convention on Biological Diversity1 web site has a lot of documents and articles on biodiversity and the various texts of the Conferences of the Parties that have taken place since the Rio Summit in 1992.
- The WWF2 is one of the most prominent conservation organizations in the world.
- The World Conservation Union3 has a lot of information. They also have a section specifically on biodiversity4.
- Lots of Biodiversity related web sites5 from the World Conservation Monitoring Center6
- The World Resources Institute7 is an independent center for policy research and technical assistance on global environmental and development issues. They have lots of online information at their site.
- OneWorld’s Guides8 cover various related issues.
- NRDC (the Natural Resources Defense Council9) is a US-based non-profit organization of scientists, lawyers and environmental specialists dedicated to protecting public health and the environment. Many subject areas are covered here.
- The Envirolink Network10 has lots of information on a whole variety of subjects
- The Environmental News Service11 brings environmental news from all over.
- Navdanya12, headed by prominent Indian scientist and activist, Vandana Shiva. The foundation works on biodiversity conservation and protecting people's rights from threats to their livelihoods and environment by centralised systems of monoculture in forestry, agriculture and fisheries.
- Food First13 provides in-depth research and knowledge on how agricultural, economic and political issues also affect biodiversity. These are some of the major impacts.
- The Center for Alternative Technology14 shows that there are various alternatives for fuel and many methods for sustainable development.
0 articles on “Biodiversity Links for more Information” and 3 related issues:
The variety of life on Earth, its biological diversity, is commonly referred to as biodiversity. The number of species of plants, animals, and microorganisms, the enormous diversity of genes in these species, the different ecosystems on the planet, such as deserts, rainforests and coral reefs are all part of a biologically diverse Earth. Appropriate conservation and sustainable development strategies attempt to recognize this as being integral to any approach. In some way or form, almost all cultures have recognized the importance of nature and its biological diversity for their societies and have therefore understood the need to maintain it. Yet, power, greed and politics have affected the precarious balance.
Read “Biodiversity” to learn more.
Environmental issues are also a major global issue. Humans depend on a sustainable and healthy environment, and yet we have damaged the environment in numerous ways. This section introduces other issues including biodiversity, climate change, animal and nature conservation, population, genetically modified food, sustainable development, and more.
Read “Environmental Issues” to learn more.
Read “Links and resources for more information” to learn more.
Back to top