Author and Page information
- This page: https://www.globalissues.org/article/136/arms-race.
- To print all information (e.g. expanded side notes, shows alternative links), use the print version:
As the more powerful countries show less commitment to reducing their own arms substantially and continue to pursue their own national interests, they affect many others around the world.
- This has led to an increase in resentment against them.
- One option for nations that feel threatened has been to improve their defensive capabilities and increase arms purchases.
- Neighboring countries will often feel the pressure to keep up, "just in case".
- An increase in arms leads to an arms race and an increase in insecurity.
This part of the global issues web site has expanded into many sections in their own rights:
- The Arms Control section looks at the issue of nuclear weapons
- The Arms Trade section looks at the effects of trading weapons. It includes pages that look at other issues also related to arms control and arms races, such as:
Back to top