News headlines for “International Criminal Court”, page 3

1. Afghanistan’s Girls Need our Unwavering Support in Education

- Inter Press Service

A story from Inter Press Service, an international news agency

NEW YORK, Sep 09 (IPS) - The Taliban takeover of government in Kabul is just days old, and the eyes of Afghans and the world are cautiously watching and hopeful to see them stand by their word and ensure that girls’ education be promoted and protected.

2. Afghanistan: A Swedish Officer’s Point of View

- Inter Press Service

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Sep 06 (IPS) - Like most of us, I rely on news media to find an explanation to tragedies I watch on TV. Neverthelss, some of my opinions about the Afghan tragedy have furthermore been influenced by talks I once had with my friend Bernth Dagerklint. We had for some years been working as teachers at a high school, though this was not Bernth’s main occupation. Most of the time, he served as an officer during international, armed campaigns supported by the Swedish government. He had been to former Yugoslavia, the West Bank and not the least in Afghanistan, where he since 2003 on several occasions worked as ”instructor” for Afghan officers.

3. Afghanistan – Another Viet Nam?

- Inter Press Service

ROME, Sep 06 (IPS) - There are several points of similarity between the war in Afghanistan and the war in Viet Nam. The Taliban, like the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong, proved to be formidable tacticians and fighters. They managed to contain a far better equipped opponent and mount effective counteroffensives; access sufficient domestic and foreign funding to pay their fighters and support their families; build a formidable intelligence network; and acquire necessary technical capabilities in areas such as repair and maintenance of small arms.

4. Afghanistan – a Turning Point?

- Inter Press Service

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka, Sep 06 (IPS) - Headlines in the press, live TV and internet coverage of the chaos at Kabul airport following the American withdrawal from Afghanistan has generated an impression around the world of an American foreign policy debacle, belittling the supremacy of American military power.

5. Journalists in Hiding to IPS: Silencing Women Journalists, is Silencing the Voice of Afghan Women

- Inter Press Service

KARACHI, Pakistan, Sep 03 (IPS) - “If I fall into the hands of the Taliban, not only me but my family will be killed,” said AB, 23*, who worked as a broadcast journalist for the past seven years and is a well-known face on the television screen.

6. Iran must halt execution of Kurdish prisoner: UN rights experts

- UN News

The imminent execution of an Iranian Kurdish prisoner must be halted and his death sentence repealed, UN-appointed independent human rights experts said on Friday. 

7. Biden’s Revenge: Fueling ‘Madness of Militarism’ in Afghanistan

- Inter Press Service

SAN FRANCISCO, Sep 02 (IPS) - Joe Biden provided a stirring soundbite days ago when he spoke from the White House just after suicide bombers killed 13 U.S. troops and 170 Afghans at a Kabul airport: “To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

8. Closed Borders and Hostile Receptions Await Afghan Refugees

- Inter Press Service

TORONTO, Canada, Aug 30 (IPS) - Whether desperately trying to get a place on the last evacuation flights out of Kabul or trekking to the borders with neighbouring Pakistan and Iran, tens of thousands of Afghans are fleeing their country once more.

9. The Taliban Win: The Aftermath in Afghanistan and in the World

- Inter Press Service

SINGAPORE, Aug 30 (IPS) - Some years ago, on a piece on the Afghan crisis I had written that Mullah Omar’s face bore no resemblance to that of the impossibly beautiful, albeit mythical, Helen of Troy. Yet it too had caused the launch of a thousand ships (airships to be more precise), just as Helen’s had done in Homer’s epic tale, the Iliad.

10. After Afghanistan, War’s Idealists Must Accept Defeat

- Inter Press Service

ROME, Aug 30 (IPS) - As the Western occupation of Afghanistan has come to an end, TV news is broadcasting harrowing scenes of death and destruction, citizens in fear, allies abandoned, and dreams dashed.