The people of Nepal are justifiably proud that their country was never colonised, even though most other countries in the region were under the British. The joke in Kathmandu is that the British in India took one look at the mountains to the north, and didn't bother conquering Nepal because they found it ungovernable, writes Kunda Dixit, editor and publisher of the Nepali Times newspaper in Kathmandu.
Given the political brinkmanship of the past month, it doesn't look like much has changed in the Himalayan kingdom-turned-republic. It is still ungovernable, and Nepal's giant neighbours, India and China, are getting edgy about the prolonged instability.
Today, Nepal is in limbo: it doesn't have a constitution, it doesn't have a legislature, it has a lame-duck prime minister and a ceremonial president. The country is sailing into uncharted waters, with only a sketchy interim constitution that can be interpreted every which way. Any move the president or prime minister make now can be interpreted as unconstitutional, and be legally challenged.
* Kunda Dixit is the editor and publisher of the Nepali Times newspaper in Kathmandu.
© Inter Press Service (2012) — All Rights ReservedOriginal source: Inter Press Service
Latest News Headlines
Read the latest news stories:
- Stressed Ecosystems Leaving Humanity High and Dry Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Organic Cooperative Proves that Agriculture Can Prosper in Cuba Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Indigenous Brazilians Learn to Fight for the Right to Food Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Seeking Justice for Dictatorship Victims – Two Continents Apart Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Tackling Crime Takes on Import As Urban Populations Rise Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Q&A: Guantanamo 'Has No Right to Exist' Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- UNFPA Focuses on Contraception for 222 Million in Developing World Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Caribbean Farming Gets Its Roots Wet Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Zimbabwe’s Ruling Party Militias Spread Fear of Voting Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- In India, Rapists Don’t Spare Children Tuesday, May 21, 2013