News headlines for “International Criminal Court”, page 2

1. Economies Flourish and Traffickers Profit from the Struggles of Low-Skilled Migrants

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

KAMPALA, May 08 (IPS) - Agnes Igoye serves as Uganda's deputy National Coordinator Prevention of Trafficking in Persons and heads Uganda Immigration training AcademyI was 14-years-old the first time I came face to face with a human trafficker. The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) raided my home. Ruthless, they demanded virgins and young girls. In a horrifying escape, I endured a treacherous, long journey that ended in an internally displaced people's camp. I was lucky. Many Ugandan children were not. By the end of the nineteen years' civil war, UNICEF estimated that the LRA had abducted some 20,000 children.

2. Despite Setbacks, Africa Viewed as Continent of Hope, Promise & Vast Potential

Monday, May 07, 2018

STOCKHOLM, May 07 (IPS) - Africa has long been one of the world's most beleaguered continents – singled out mostly for its conflicts, political and economic instability, rising poverty and hunger, inequalities and its environmental challenges.And in international circles, it is described as "Afro-pessimism."

3. Time to Get Serious About Peace & Development

Friday, May 04, 2018

STOCKHOLM, Sweden, May 04 (IPS) - Jan Eliasson* is Chairman of the Governing Board of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) Four months ago UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres issued a "red alert", noting that instead of progressing towards greater peace, the world had moved in reverse towards deepening conflicts and new dangers: "Global anxieties about nuclear weapons are the highest since the Cold War.

4. To Sustain Peace: Heed the Warnings & Prevent the Next War

Friday, May 04, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, May 04 (IPS) - Sanam Naraghi Anderlini is Co-Founder & Executive Director, International Civil Society Action Network (ICAN)New York and Washington DC may be three hours apart geographically, but in global affairs, they are worlds apart. With the wars in Syria, Yemen and elsewhere unabating, at the UN in New York, terms like ‘conflict prevention' and ‘sustaining peace' are back in vogue, with world leaders attending a major summit. Meanwhile in Washington while the talks with North Korea took center stage behind the scenes the drum roll of war against Iran is revving up.

5. Kenya- Overcoming Rivalry & Conflict Through Cultural Diplomacy

Friday, April 27, 2018

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 27 (IPS) - Siddharth Chatterjee is the United Nations Resident Coordinator to Kenya.Cultural diplomacy is a soft power that promotes the exchange of ideas, information, art, and culture to strengthen friendship and cooperation among nations and communities.

6. Displaced Pashtuns Return to Find Homes "Teeming" with Landmines

Thursday, April 26, 2018

KARACHI, Apr 26 (IPS) - "If I'm assured that my home and my village has been de-mined, I'd be the first to return with my family," says 54-year old Mohammad Mumtaz Khan.

7. The Nowhere People: Rohingyas in India

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

NEW DELHI, Apr 25 (IPS) - A devastating fire in a shanty at Kalindi Kunj, a New Delhi suburb, that gutted the homes of 226 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar, including 100 women and 50 children, has trained a spotlight on India's ad hoc policy on international migrants.

8. Exhibition of Artifacts Stolen From Ethiopia Revives Controversy

Monday, April 23, 2018

LONDON, Apr 23 (IPS) - A new exhibition that opened April 5 at London's famous Victoria and Albert museum of ancient treasures looted from Ethiopia has revived debate about where such artifacts should reside, highlighting the tensions in putting Western imperialism in Africa and the past to rest.

9. Child Soldiers Released, But Risk Remains

Friday, April 20, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 20 (IPS) - More than 200 child soldiers were released by armed groups in war-torn South Sudan, and help will be needed to ensure their safe and bright future, according to a UN agency. The release took place in Western Equatoria State and follows a similar release last month that saw 300 children freed.

10. A Child of War Dedicates Herself to Peace

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

PARIS, Apr 17 (IPS) - UNESCO Courier*"I was so angry, I felt like I wanted to blow up the whole world, but I didn't. I decided I wouldn't be pushed to become evil. I would choose peace."Dalia Al-Najjar has crammed a great deal into her short life. At 22, the Palestinian refugee has already lived through three wars and has spent every spare moment between siege and ceasefire studying, volunteering, working, blogging, on the daily struggle to live in Gaza – and planning how to change the future.

Web feed for International Criminal Court news headlines