News headlines for “Middle East”, page 2

Gaza Reconstruction, Hampered by Israeli Blockade, May Take 100 Years, Say Aid Agencies

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 03 (IPS) - Despite all the political hoopla surrounding an international pledging conference in Cairo last October to help rebuild Gaza, the reconstruction of the Israeli-devastated territory is apparently moving at the pace of paralytic snail.

Families See Hope for Justice in Palestinian Membership of ICC

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

GAZA CITY, Mar 03 (IPS) - "I have lost all meaning in life after the death of my child, I will never forgive anyone who caused the tearing apart of his little body.  I appeal to all who can help and stand with us to achieve justice and punish those who killed my child."

Syrian Conflict Has Underlying Links to Climate Change, Says Study

Monday, March 02, 2015

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 02 (IPS) - Was the four-year-old military conflict in Syria, which has claimed the lives of over 200,000 people, mostly civilians, triggered at least in part by climate change?

Opinion: The Middle East and Perpetual War

Friday, February 27, 2015

PHILADELPHIA, Feb 27 (IPS) - There is a currently popular idea in Washington, D.C. that the United States ought to be doing more to quash the recently born Islamic States of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), because if we don't, they will send terrorists to plague our lives.

Gazan Fishermen Dying to Survive

Friday, February 27, 2015

GAZA CITY, Feb 27 (IPS) - The beautiful Mediterranean Sea laps gently onto the white sandy beach near Gaza City's port. Fishing boats dot the beach as fishermen tend to their boats and fix their nets.

All-Out War in Libya Predicted without Further Peace Talks

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 26 (IPS) - Libya is teetering on the edge of all-out war, with a brutal stalemate and misery for civilians predicted unless a recent minor diplomatic breakthrough can be built upon.

Syria's 'Barrel Bombs' Cause Human Devastation, Says Rights Group

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 24 (IPS) - The warring parties in the brutal four-year-old military conflict in Syria, which has claimed the lives of over 200,000 civilians and triggered "the greatest refugee crisis in modern times," continue to break every single pledge held out to the United Nations.

OPINION: Discrimination by Law

Monday, February 23, 2015

CAIRO, Feb 23 (IPS) - In November 2013, a Thomson Reuters Foundation survey ranked Egypt as the worst of 22 Arab states with regards to women's rights.

Negev Bedouin Resist Israeli Demolitions “To Show We Exist”

Friday, February 20, 2015

AL ARAQIB, Negev Desert, Israel, Feb 20 (IPS) - Lehavim Junction in the northern Negev in Israel has been the backdrop to protests against home demolitions in Bedouin localities for the past four and half years.

America and the Middle East after the Islamic State

Thursday, February 19, 2015

WASHINGTON, Feb 19 (IPS) - As the Congress ponders President Barack Obama's request for an Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) to fight the Islamic State (ISIS or IS), American policymakers must focus on the "morning after" before they embark on another potentially disastrous war in the Levant.