News headlines for “Middle East”, page 2

1. United Arab Emirates: Entering into a Sustainable Future

Monday, May 14, 2018

ROME, May 14 (IPS) -    The end of the oil age In the early 1970's the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was an impoverished desert, with little access to food, water and well-paying jobs. Today, this country looks nothing like it was fifty years ago. Thanks to oil, the UAE has completely transformed and now is one of the most developed economies in the Middle East, if not the world: its per capita GDP is equal to those of highly developed European nations ($68,000 - 2017 est.).

2. “I Wake Up Screaming”: Gaza’s Children Bear the Brunt of Violence

Thursday, May 10, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 10 (IPS) - Reham Qudaih wakes up nightly to the same nightmare: her father shot, lying on the ground in a pool of blood."In my dreams he is on the ground shot. When I have that dream – which I've had more than once I wake up screaming," she told the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC).

3. From the Syrian War to Argentina - Or How to Start a New Life

Monday, May 07, 2018

May 07 (IPS) - Fares al Badwan moved to Buenos Aires alone, from Syria, in 2011. He was 17 years old then and the armed conflict in his country had just broken out. Since then he has managed to bring over his whole family and today he cannot imagine living outside of Argentina. "I like the people here. No one makes you feel like a foreigner," he said.

4. To Sustain Peace: Heed the Warnings & Prevent the Next War

Friday, May 04, 2018

WASHINGTON DC, May 04 (IPS) - Sanam Naraghi Anderlini is Co-Founder & Executive Director, International Civil Society Action Network (ICAN)New York and Washington DC may be three hours apart geographically, but in global affairs, they are worlds apart. With the wars in Syria, Yemen and elsewhere unabating, at the UN in New York, terms like ‘conflict prevention' and ‘sustaining peace' are back in vogue, with world leaders attending a major summit. Meanwhile in Washington while the talks with North Korea took center stage behind the scenes the drum roll of war against Iran is revving up.

5. Middle East: a Threat to World Peace & Security, Warns UN Chief

Friday, April 13, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 13 (IPS) - UN Secretary-General António Guterres in an address to the Security CouncilThe situation in the Middle East is in chaos — to such an extent it has become a threat to international peace and security. The region is facing a true Gordian knot – different fault lines crossing each other and creating a highly volatile situation with risks of escalation, fragmentation and division as far as the eye can see with profound regional and global ramifications.

6. Food Is the Answer: Perugia International Journalism Festival

Friday, April 13, 2018

PERUGIA, Italy, Apr 13 (IPS) - The twelfth International Journalism Festival on April 12-15 has drawn 710 speakers from 50 different countries, becoming the biggest journalism festival in Europe.

7. “International Solidarity” at Yemen Donor Conference

Thursday, April 05, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 05 (IPS) - The international community has pledged over two billion dollars towards urgently needed humanitarian assistance to Yemen during a UN event.

8. Yemen the World’s Worst Humanitarian Crisis, Says UN Chief

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

GENEVA, Apr 04 (IPS) - Secretary-General António Guterres, in his address to the Pledging Conference on Yemen.Thank you all for being here today to show your solidarity with the women, men, girls and boys of Yemen. And I want to thank my co-chairs, the Governments of Sweden and Switzerland, for hosting this conference for the second year and for their continued humanitarian commitment.

9. I Am a Migrant: Integrating Through Syrian ‘Hummus’

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

ROME, Apr 04 (IPS) - Khaled left Syria in 2015, when his country was already in its fourth year of war. He is 27 years old and can clearly remember what his life was like then in Damascus: a happy life, with a happy family, in a happy country.

10. Washington’s Ambiguity Equals De Facto Sanctions On Teheran

Friday, March 30, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Mar 30 (IPS) - Over the last few months, the United States' rhetoric on the Iran nuclear agreement has been ambiguous, creating an uncertain environment for investors. With John Bolton, President Donald Trump has now appointed a national security adviser who is actively seeking to leave the Iran deal.

Web feed for Middle East news headlines