News headlines for “Iraq Crisis”, page 3

1. U.S. Officials Peddle False Intel to Support Terror Plot Claims

- Inter Press Service

A story from Inter Press Service, an international news agency

Officials of the Barack Obama administration have aggressively leaked information supposedly based on classified intelligence in recent days to bolster its allegation that two higher- ranking officials from Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) were involved in a plot to assassinate Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir in Washington, D.C.

2. To Be Black in Iraq

- Inter Press Service

'Before being deployed to Iraq I never thought I’d come across people who physically resemble my friends and family back in Buffalo,' says U.S. marines sergeant William Collins on a rare patrol around Basra’s Zubeir district.

3. To Be Black in Iraq

- Inter Press Service

'Before being deployed to Iraq I never thought I’d come across people who physically resemble my friends and family back in Buffalo,' says U.S. marines sergeant William Collins on a rare patrol around Basra’s Zubeir district.

4. Iranians in Iraqi Camp to Seek Refugee Status

- Inter Press Service

In a development that could help resolve an eight-year-old diplomatic and humanitarian standoff, the Mujaheddin-e Khalq (MEK), an Iranian opposition group that has several thousand adherents at a military camp in Iraq, has agreed to allow residents to apply for refugee status and be interviewed individually by U.N. officials.

5. U.S.: Iraq Intelligence Failures Cast Shadow Over Iran Assessment

- Inter Press Service

As the George W. Bush administration built the case for war with Iraq in the early 2000s, press accounts picked up bits of leaked intelligence that described a weapons of mass destruction threat from then president Saddam Hussein. But once the U.S. military entered Iraq, they found nothing.

6. Familiar Hawks Press Obama on Iraq Withdrawal

- Inter Press Service

A familiar group of mainly neo-conservative hawks — many of whom championed the 2003 invasion of Iraq —released an open letter to President Barack Obama Thursday urging him to retain a substantial military force in that Middle East country beyond this year.

7. U.S.-IRAQ: Hawks Fret Over U.S. Withdrawal

- Inter Press Service

Eclipsed by the war in Afghanistan, growing tensions between Israel and its neighbours, and the continuing reverberations of the so-called 'Arab Spring', Iraq is inching back into the news here as a debate over the future of U.S. military forces there gathers steam.

8. IRAQ: Fight for Women’s Rights Begins All Over Again

- Inter Press Service

When a middle-aged mother took a taxi alone from Baghdad to Nasiriyah, about 300 kilometres south earlier this year, her 20-year-old driver stopped on the way, pulled her to the side of the road and raped her. And that began a telling legal struggle.

9. Post-9/11 Rebuffs Set U.S.-Iran Relations on Downward Spiral

- Inter Press Service

Of all the mistakes and missed opportunities that have characterised U.S. foreign policy since Sep. 11, 2001, few may have been as consequential as the failure to improve relations with Iran.

10. MEDIA-IRAQ: ‘Protection’ Law Offers Little Safety

- Inter Press Service

When Ali Sumerian, an editor for Al-Sabah newspaper, and three local media colleagues sat down for a restaurant meal after reporting on a demonstration in Baghdad’s Tahrir Square on Feb. 25 this year, security forces detained them. 'We were accused of encouraging an anti-political process,' says Sumerian. It was only after their arrest triggered a media outcry, he says, were they released 12 hours later. The four were just some of the journalists attacked and arrested that day.