News headlines for “Human Population”, page 4

1. Fate of the Rohingyas – Part One

Sunday, January 14, 2018

DHAKA, Bangladesh, Jan 14 (IPS) - The repatriation of Rohingya refugees driven from their villages through violence and terror appears uncertain, with critics saying the agreement legalising the process of their return is both controversial and impractical.

2. UN Chief Calls for Collective Global Response to Migration

Friday, January 12, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 12 (IPS) - I am very pleased to present this report, "Making Migration Work For All", which serves as my principal input to the zero draft of the "Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration."

3. UN Urges Comprehensive Approach to Sexuality Education

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

PARIS, Jan 10 (IPS) - Close to 10 years after its first edition, a fully updated International Technical Guidance on Sexuality Education published today by UNESCO advocates quality comprehensive sexuality education to promote health and well-being, respect for human rights and gender equality, and empowers children and young people to lead healthy, safe and productive lives.

4. The data revolution should not leave women and girls behind

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

OTTAWA, Canada, Jan 09 (IPS) - If there is one political principle that has been constant throughout the history of human civilization it is the fact that land is power. This is something that is particularly true, and often painfully so, for women who farm in Africa.

5. The Creeping Commodification of Feminism

Monday, January 08, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 08 (IPS) - As the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) at the United Nations in New York draws near, women from every corner of the world will convene to focus on the theme of CSW 2018: Challenges and Opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls. One of the major inquiries in this theme is women's economic empowerment.

6. In the Wake of the Millennium Migration

Thursday, January 04, 2018

SEATTLE, Jan 04 (IPS) - A century ago, Italian immigrants told a joke: "Before I came to America, I thought the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, I learned three things: one, the streets were not paved with gold; two, the streets were not paved at all; and three, they expected me to pave them."

7. Marooned in Bangladesh, Rohingya Face Uncertain Future

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh, Jan 03 (IPS) - Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugee women from Myanmar are currently living in the cramped camps along Bangladesh Myanmar border. Victims of sexual and physical violence in the Rakhine state, women have been disproportionately affected by this crisis and these women's perils are far from over in the host country as they continue to face multifaceted challenges.

8. Religion: Between ‘Power’ and ‘Force’

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 03 (IPS) - In 1994, Dr. David R. Hawkins wrote a book positing the difference between power and force (Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior - the latest revised version came out in 2014).

9. Nowhere to Hide from Climate Change

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

TOGORU, Fiji, Jan 02 (IPS) - The water is nibbling away the beaches of Fiji. Not even the dead are allowed peace of mind. The graveyard of Togoru - a village on the largest island of Fiji - has been submerged. The waves are sloshing softly against the tilted tombstones covered with barnacles. The names have become illegible, erased by the sea.

10. "Only Our Youth Can Save the Planet" - Kumi Naidoo

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

SUVA, Fiji, Dec 20 (IPS) - "Today's youth should think of new solutions for old problems like climate change and social injustice."

That's the strong message of the South African activist Kumi Naidoo. The former executive director of Greenpeace says young people need to be more innovative and visionary, "because the solutions of my generation have failed."

Web feed for Human Population news headlines