News headlines for “Rights of Indigenous People”, page 2

1. World Day for Indigenous Peoples

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

ROME, Aug 07 (IPS) - 370 million self-identified indigenous peoples are spread across the world, but continue to face discrimination and marginalization.

Dispossessed of their lands, territories and ancestral resources, these people have increasingly been forced to give up their way of life, and have been pushed into unfamiliar worlds to survive.

2. How the Yanadi, an Oppressed Indigenous People in India, are Reclaiming Their Rights One Village At a Time

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

NELLORE DISTRICT, India, Aug 07 (IPS) - This article is part of a series of stories and op-eds initiated by IPS on the occasion of the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples, on August 9.

Under the blazing midday sun, a tractor moves slowly along a dirt trail in Macharawari Pallem, a village of the Yanadi indigenous people located some three hours from Chennai city in South India. Atop the tractor, women of the village – 36 in all – sit expectantly, ignoring the heat. Squeals of excitement fill the air as the tractor slowly halts near a stretch of rice fields.

3. Farmer-Herder Conflicts on the Rise in Africa

Monday, August 06, 2018

MINNESOTA, United States, Aug 06 (IPS) - Juliana Nnoko-Mewanu is a women's rights researcher at Human Rights Watch who has done extensive work on land rights issues.

Violent clashes between farmers and herders in Nigeria's Middle Belt in June reminded me of a smelting hot afternoon a year ago.  I was sitting in my living room watching a herder grazing his cows in my yard in the small town in southwestern Cameroon where I live.

4. Helping Indigenous Peoples Live Equal Lives

Monday, August 06, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Aug 06 (IPS) - Although indigenous peoples are being increasingly recognised by both rights activists and governmental organisations, they are still being neglected in legal documents and declarations. Indigenous peoples are only mentioned in two of the 17 United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and only seen in two of the 230 SDG indicators, says indigenous rights expert Chris Chapman.

5. OP-ED: Protecting the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as They are Forced to Move into Cities

Sunday, August 05, 2018

STEPANTSMINDA, Georgia, Aug 05 (IPS) - On Aug. 9 the observance of the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples will take place in the Economic and Social Council Chamber at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, bringing together U.N. agencies and member states, civil society and indigenous peoples' organisations.

6. Indigenous Peoples Recover Native Languages in Mexico

Friday, May 18, 2018

May 18 (IPS) - Ángel Santiago is a Mexican teenager who speaks one of the variations of the Zapotec language that exists in the state of Oaxaca, in the southwest of Mexico. Standing next to the presidential candidate who is the favorite for the July elections, he calls for an educational curriculum that "respects our culture and our languages."

7. After More Than a Decade, Rights of Indigenous Peoples Not Fully Realized

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 18 (IPS) - Miroslav Lajčák, is President of the UN General Assembly First, I want to talk about how we got here. It was nearly 100 years ago, when indigenous peoples first asserted their rights, on the international stage. But, they did not see much progress. At least until 1982 - when the first Working Group on Indigenous Populations was established.

8. DR Congo’s Mai-Ndombe Forest ‘Savaged’ As Landless Communities Struggle

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

INONGO, Democratic Republic of Congo, Apr 17 (IPS) - Thousands of logs loaded into makeshift boats at the port of Inongo at Lake Mai-Ndombe stand ready to be transported to Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

9. The UN tells private enterprise leaders that “Business as Usual Won’t Work”.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 11 (IPS) - As global citizens face an array of issues from unemployment to discrimination, affecting their livelihoods and potential, a UN agency called upon businesses to employ a new, sustainable, and inclusive model that benefits all.

10. Drowning for Progress in Cambodia

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

KBAL ROMEAS, Cambodia, Apr 10 (IPS) - Suddenly the road ends. The cart track disappears under the water. A vast lake stretches out in front of me. I have to transfer from a motorbike to a canoe. "Tuk laang," my guide says coolly. "The water is rising."

Web feed for Rights of Indigenous People news headlines