News headlines for “AIDS in Africa”, page 3

1. MALAWI: Cholera in a Time of Floods

Thursday, February 09, 2012

They survived floods and witnessed the horrific scenes of their houses, livestock, household items and gardens being swept away at the end of January. Now, the people of the Nsanje and Chikhwawa districts on Malawi’s southern border with Mozambique are facing another menace; a cholera outbreak, which has already killed one child and infected up to 103 people.

2. UNICEF Funding Falls Short Leaving Millions of Children at Risk

Friday, February 03, 2012

If the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) had 1.28 billion dollars it could help 97 million people around the world.

3. HEALTH-SOUTH AFRICA: HIV-Related Deaths Slows Economy

Friday, January 27, 2012

If there was no HIV/AIDS, South Africa would have 4.4 million more people than today, the size of a major city. This significant slow-down in population growth is causing a slow down in economic growth and resulting in social ills, researchers warn.

4. Double Sentence: AIDS in a Senegalese Prison

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Amadou* takes in a long, deep breath, clears his throat and steps to the front of the room. He turns to look out at a familiar group of faces sitting on long wooden benches here at the Camp Penal maximum-security prison in Dakar. This is the last in a group of 150 inmates Amadou has been speaking with today. He’s tired, but remains focused.

5. ZAMBIA: 'People Are Not Dead Until They Have Died'

Monday, December 26, 2011

'I had no power, I could not even walk. I just had to be lifted by someone. When bathing, when going to the toilet, when going anywhere,' Geoffrey Mwila says in a soft voice.

6. GUATEMALA: Discrimination Undermines AIDS Prevention

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

'At the clinic we were attended to by a woman who criticised us and only talked to us about religious questions,' says Carlos Valdez of Proyecto Unidos, an NGO in Guatemala that fights for access to HIV/AIDS prevention services by homosexuals and sex workers.

7. Nigerian Bill Criminalises More Than Just Gay People

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

'The prospect of arriving home... being arrested at the airport - that's kind of scary,' said Osazeme O., a dual citizen of Nigeria and the UK, in a wry understatement.

8. PHILIPPINES: These Shots Target AIDS

Friday, December 02, 2011

A unique campaign in the Philippines is using stylised online photos to raise awareness on HIV/AIDS. Fashion and conceptual photographer Niccolo Cosme first initiated Project Headshot Clinic in 2007 as a way of merging profile photos online and advertising.

9. Poverty and Racism Fuel HIV/AIDS Epidemic in U.S.

Thursday, December 01, 2011

On World AIDS Day, all eyes are fixed on the global south, where a preventable HIV/AIDS epidemic across Asia, Africa and Latin America has infected almost 33 million people.

10. HEALTH-DR CONGO: The Konzo Still Threatens Women and Children

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Nadine Mbwol suffers from konzo, an epidemic paralytic disease that affects the lower body. 'I lost my marriage because of this disability,' she says sadly.

Web feed for AIDS in Africa news headlines