About this Web Site
Author and Page information
This print version has been auto-generated from http://www.globalissues.org/about/415/about
Welcome to the global issues web site. This web site looks into global issues that affect everyone and aims to show how most issues are inter-related.
There are over 550 articles on this site, mostly written by myself. The issues discussed range from trade, poverty and globalization, to human rights, geopolitics, the environment, and much more. Spread over these articles, there are over 7,000 links to external articles, web sites, reports and analysis to help provide credence to the arguments made on this web site.
— Anup Shah
© 1998–2017. Copyright information1
Over the years, as the site has grown, people have asked me various questions, which I attempt to answer in the following sections:
Last updated Saturday, October 25, 2008.
I grew up and studied in the UK. However, when I moved to the US for work after graduating from university (with a computer science degree) I started to gain an interest in global issues. I started this site (mid-1998) and it remains as a spare time effort, on my own. Read on for more information including details about funding, my qualifications, etc.
Read “Who am I? How is the site funded?” to learn more.
Last updated Wednesday, December 07, 2005.
This section attempts to explain what has motivated me in writing the site.
I feel most global issues are misrepresented in the mainstream for various reasons. Some issues may not be receiving enough—or any—mainstream media attention and therefore there is a lack of enough open and public debate, while other concerns seem to be getting a biased attention only.
I feel that instead of quick sound bites and limited context, a deeper understanding of the issues is important because it helps us understand how we got to where we are today. Only then can we begin to contemplate and effectively plan where we are headed and what that implies for the societies and peoples of today and tomorrow.
Please read on for more details and explanations.
Read “Why am I doing this?” to learn more.
Last updated Saturday, December 30, 2006.
I am often asked a number of questions, from why I don’t mention issue xyz, to where I get my sources, why I talk so much about the US, and more. I attempt to answer those here.
Read “Other miscellaneous and frequently asked questions” to learn more.
Last updated Tuesday, August 19, 2008.
I am often asked question like
how many visitors does the site receive?,
how was the site constructed?, etc. I also attempt to answer why the spelling may seem bizarre in places, and why there are sometimes many broken links to other web sites in my articles. These and other such questions are answered here.
Read “Site info: visitor stats, construction, etc.” to learn more.
Last updated Monday, December 03, 2007.
This section mentions any partnerships, awards, and other recognitions worth mentioning. For example, I am honored and proud to be a partner of the massive OneWorld.net site as well as a MediaChannel.org affiliate. Read on for more details.
Read “Awards, partnerships, etc” to learn more.
Last updated Wednesday, September 30, 2015.
Read “Privacy Information” to learn more.
Last updated Sunday, December 28, 2008.
People often want to reproduce parts of content from this site onto theirs. This page describes the copyright policy of this web site. In short, you will find in most cases there is little in way of restriction, other than requesting proper attribution of source. There are some cases where you may need my permission (e.g. if using the information for commercial purposes.) Please read this page for details.
Read “Copyright Information” to learn more.
Last updated Wednesday, October 19, 2016.
I have tried to design and develop this site with various accessibility aspects in mind. Please read for more information on provisions made, and any constraints or activities I still need to do.
Read “Accessibility Statement” to learn more.
Posted Sunday, August 10, 2008.
In mid-July, 2008, this web site turned 10 years old. It was a good time to do a redesign of the web site, hopefully to improve navigation.
Read “2008 Web Site Redesign & 10 Years of globalissues.org” to learn more.
Posted Wednesday, December 31, 2003.
Read “About the December 2003 Web Site Redesign” to learn more.
This article has the following parts:
- About this Web Site
Fair Use Notice
This web site may contain or link to copyrighted material or trademarks whose use has not been specifically authorized by their owners. I believe that use of these materials constitutes
fair use as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. I am using these materials in order to advance public understanding of the workings, impact and direction of various global issues. Where possible, I have tried to obtain permission beforehand. If you are the owner of any of this material, and object to its usage here, contact me and I will attempt to comply with your wishes. If you wish to use any of the copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
- In this web site, you will find a variety of topics, each of which will present many links to outside information to provide back up or an illustration of the points that are made. Please note that the contents of these external web pages are beyond my control and are used only to serve as an example of an issue I am presenting. If you follow one of these links, you can always navigate back to this web site using your browser’s
- (Some framed web sites may prevent you easily getting back to this site in that way, in which case you can either type the URL: http://www.globalissues.org in the URL/address text box, or you can (on some of the newer web browsers) select from a list of previously visited web sites to get back.
- Because of the large number of links on this web site to external sites, there may be times when, again beyond my control, an external link could become unreachable. This may be because it turns out that the web site is temporarily down, or it has removed, archived or restructured their site after a certain time. I try my best to stay up to date and modify my links accordingly, if possible. However, if I do miss out some links and you find that they do not point to where it should do, please let me know.
- Also please note that linking to other resources and web sites does not mean that I necessarily endorse or support the views and positions etc of those other sites, but that I link to them to highlight an aspect of a given issue.
- I have tried my best to test this page on different operating system and browser combinations, but there are so many, that it would be impossible to test all, and, I have limited resources. Please let me know if you have problems using the site.
(Note that listed here are only those hyperlinks to other articles from other web sites or elsewhere on this web site. Other sources such as journal, books and magazines, are mentioned above in the original text. Please also note that links to external sites are beyond my control. They might become unavailable temporarily or permanently since you read this, depending on the policies of those sites, which I cannot unfortunately do anything about.)
Back to top