News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 2

1. On the Agenda of Iraq’s New Government: An Empty Treasury, Low Revenue, and COVID-19

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

UNITED NATIONS, May 13 (IPS) - While experts acknowledge that addressing the coronavirus is an urgent issue for Iraq's new government, there remain concerns that other long-standing issues might be of higher priority. Iraq's newly-announced leader has brought hope to a country embroiled in a 17-year-long conflict, but authorities must ensure that issues such as swift and rapid response to COVID-19, security concerns, and corruption among others are addressed with urgencyexperts said on Tuesday. 

2. Malawi’s Vulnerable Shortchanged in Human Trafficking Prevention Efforts

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

BLANTYRE, Malawi, May 13 (IPS) - Malawi is a source, destination and transit country for human and sex trafficking. But the poverty-stricken nation, where almost 80 precent of its population is employed by the agriculture sector, doesn't have the funds to combat the crime.Malawi is not doing enough to enforce its laws on human trafficking, resulting in a number of cases against perpetrators being dismissed by the courts, according to a local rights group. But local officials say that this Southern African nation — one of the poorest countries in the world — just doesn't have the financial resources to do so.

3. Protecting Women’s Reproductive Health During the Pandemic

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

May 12 (IPS) - "When I was 13… I got pregnant from my older brother… He raped me starting when I was 11," a girl from Guatemala told one of us in 2015. She was one of the 2 million girls under 15 worldwide who give birth each year, often due to sexual violence.

4. COVID-19: Why We Must Reset Our Thinking

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Oxford University, May 12 (IPS) - Covid-19 is the most significant event since the Second World War. It changes everything.

It brings great sadness to many of us as we lose loved ones, as we see people losing their jobs, and as we see people around the world suffering immensely.

5. US Pulls the Plug on a UN Global Cease-Fire Resolution

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

UNITED NATIONS, May 12 (IPS) - After six weeks of negotiations, the United States shot down hopes for a resolution to be approved in the United Nations Security Council on May 8, refusing to back worldwide cease-fires as the US continues to castigate China and the World Health Organization for the Covid-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, momentum behind tenuous cease-fires is vanishing, experts say.

6. ‘Passing the Buck’ Becomes Reckless ‘Conspiracy Blame Game’

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, May 12 (IPS) - Although Wuhan local authorities undoubtedly ostracized local medical whistle-blowers, notably Dr Li Wenliangwho suspected a new virus was responsible for flu-like infections in Wuhan in late 2019, official responses were apparently not delayed, and possibly even expedited, as the novel character of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, responsible for Covid-19 infections, was not immediately self-evident.

7. NGOs – with Local Groups in the Lead – are on COVID-19 Frontlines

Monday, May 11, 2020

BOSTON, USA, May 11 (IPS) - NGOs, at the international, national - and most of all local - level are on the frontlines every day.

I just heard from Oxfam staff in Bangladesh, that when asked whether they were scared to continue our response with the Rohingya communities in Cox's Bazar, they replied: "They are now my relatives. I care about them — and this is the time they need us most.'"

8. VE Day Marks the End of the Second World War-But the World is Still at War

Monday, May 11, 2020

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 11 (IPS) - The world commemorated the 75th Anniversary to mark the end of the 2nd World War also called VE Day on 08 May 2020.

With her nation, and much of the world still in lockdown due to COVID 19, England's Queen marked 75 years since the allied victory in Europe with a poignant televised address. From Windsor Castle, Queen Elizabeth said, "the wartime generation knew that the best way to honour those who did not come back from the war, was to ensure that it didn't happen again".

9. Women Taking Charge during COVID-19

Monday, May 11, 2020

NEW YORK, May 11 (IPS) - As the COVID-19 mayhem carries on in most countries, the role of mothers, daughters, and female caregivers have been affected the most. Besides looking after the household and home schooling children, they are also working on the front lines, actively or passively caring for their respective communities.

10. Former Child Bride Holds Pakistan to Account for Wrongful Imprisonment in Historic Legal Challenge

Friday, May 08, 2020

KARACHI, Pakistan, May 08 (IPS) - A former Pakistani child bride, who was wrongly accused of killing her husband at 13 and subsequently spent almost two decades in prison, is making history by being the first victim of a miscarriage of justice to seek compensation from the state, say legal human rights experts.  

Web feed for Human Rights Issues news headlines