News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 2

1. Internet Needs New Global Regulations Against Online Sexual Exploitation

Thursday, February 13, 2020

LONDON, Feb 13 (IPS) - Online sexual exploitation is a global epidemic that is increasing at an alarming rate.

At any one time, 750,000 individuals across the world are looking to connect with children and young people online for sexual exploitation.

The expansion of the Internet, advances in information and communications technologies (ICTs), and the development of increasingly sophisticated digital tools that provide anonymity, mean that the number of potential victims is growing exponentially, and so too is the pool of those seeking to abuse them.

2. War No More

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

NEW YORK, Feb 12 (IPS) - 75 years ago following the end of the Second World War and the first time any state has dropped an atomic bomb, not once, but twice, on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 51 countries from all continents met to create the United Nations.

3. Investigation a Crucial Tool for Preventing Child Rights Violations in Armed Conflicts

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

GENEVA, Feb 11 (IPS) - There has been a disturbing increase in violence perpetrated against children in conflicts worldwide, coupled with almost total impunity.

4. Could Africa’s Marketplace Platforms Help Upskill a Generation for the Digital Age?

Monday, February 10, 2020

NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 10 (IPS) - By 2030, sub-Saharan Africa will be home to more than a quarter of the world's population under 25. Between 15 and 20 million young people will enter the African workforce each yearjoining the ranks of the millions of currently under- and unemployed people searching for better livelihoods.

5. Pulses for a Sustainable Future

ROME, Feb 10 (IPS) - Reducing poverty and inequalities, eliminating hunger and all forms of malnutrition and achieve food insecurity for all – these are some of the most important objectives of the Sustainable Development Goals.

Still, the rate of poverty and inequalities is increasing and over 820 million people are going hungry. In addition, 2 billion people in the world are food insecure with great risk of malnutrition and poor health.

This alarming situation is further aggravated by current trends such as the rate of population growth, impacts of climate change, loss of biodiversity, soil degradation and many others.

Transition to more sustainable food systems can provide adequate solutions to all these challenges.

6. Coronavirus: A Flashback to Biological Warfare of a Bygone Era

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka, Feb 10 (IPS) - In the wake of the latest coronavirus outbreak, movie buffs are drawing an eerie parallel with the film Contagion, a 2011 thriller based on a lethal airborne virus called Nipah and how the world's medical community battled to find a cure for the pandemic.

7. Globalization of Indifference: Ai Weiwei and the Refugee Crisis

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Feb 10 (IPS) - Humans belong to a species that is constantly on the move . Since some Homo Sapiens 125,000 years ago began to move from the African continent, humans can be found all over the world, even in such utterly inhospitable places as the icebound plateaus of Antarctica.

By moving, humans have tried to escape inadequate food-supply or otherwise unacceptable living conditions.

Natural forces have forced them to leave, or even more commonly – violent actions by other humans. With them migrants have brought their means of expression and interaction, some of them expressed through their art.

8. Do I Need Permission to Breathe? - A Migrant Woman's Story

Friday, February 07, 2020

NEW YORK, Feb 07 (IPS) - I soiled my pants, I could feel the wetness seeping into my waistband, my eyes started to become blurry. Only the sound of the blaring television assured me that I was still alive. I tried to stop thinking and make my mind go completely blank.

Over the years I have adapted and now I can make my mind go numb. But the only nagging question ringing on my mind during the last 45 seconds was: will this stain the carpet? Should I clean myself first or should I clean the carpet first? Which one is safer? Did he notice the stain?

9. UNFPA Highlights Need to Address Sexual and Reproductive Health of Women in Crisis Areas

Friday, February 07, 2020

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 07 (IPS) - The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is appealing for $683million in their mission to address sexual and reproductive health services for women and girls in conflict areas in the world. 

10. Female Genital Mutilation Costs $1.4 Billion Annually: UN Health Agency

Thursday, February 06, 2020

UNITED NATIONS, Feb 06 (IPS) - Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) poses serious risks to the health and well-being of women and girls, but it also exacts a crippling economic toll, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). 

Web feed for Human Rights Issues news headlines