News headlines for “Human Rights Issues”, page 2

1. Why Aren't More Women Angry?

- Inter Press Service

PORTLAND, USA, Jun 23 (IPS) - Why aren’t more women angry about their subordination, discrimination, and unequal treatment in the 21st century? Of course, some of the world’s women are angry, but they are comparatively few.

2. Actions to stem violence against women and girls ‘needed now more than ever’

- UN News

Over the past two years, there has been “an unprecedented increase in all forms of gender-based violence,” the UN Deputy Secretary-General told a high-level meeting in Kigali, on Thursday, citing the COVID-19 pandemic as a major contributor.

3. Transgender People Gain Their Place in Argentine Society

- Inter Press Service

BUENOS AIRES, Jun 23 (IPS) - "At the age of 35, with a document that says who I really am, I went back to school and finished my studies, which I had left at 14 because I could no longer bear the bullying and mistreatment," said Florencia Guimaraes, a transgender woman whose life was changed by Argentina's Gender Identity Law.

4. Missing Women in Peru - Pain that Never Ends

- Inter Press Service

LIMA, Jun 22 (IPS) - "They mustn’t stop looking for her," said Patricia Acosta, mother of Estéfhanny Díaz, who went missing on Apr. 24, 2016, along with her five-year-old and eight-month-old daughters, after attending a children's birthday party in Mi Perú, a town in the coastal province of Callao, next to the Peruvian capital.

5. Violence against indigenous women, ‘legacy of colonialism’ rooted in racism

- UN News

Indigenous women and girls face grave, systematic, and continuous acts of violence that permeate every aspect of their lives, a UN-appointed independent rights expert said on Wednesday in a hard hitting report to the Human Rights Council in Geneva

6. Iran urged to halt imminent finger amputation of eight prisoners

- UN News

The UN human rights office, OHCHR, is urging Iran to call off plans to amputate the fingers of eight prisoners convicted of burglary, Spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani said on Wednesday. 

7. Urgent Global Call to Save 222 Million Dreams for Children Impacted by Crises

- Inter Press Service

Nairobi, Jun 22 (IPS) - It is not enough that they were robbed of their childhoods and their shattered young lives defined by bombs, bloodshed and death. Now, crisis-impacted school-aged children are falling off the academic bridge that could lead them out of the carnage.

8. Colombia Votes for Social Justice

- Inter Press Service

BOGOTA, Colombia, Jun 22 (IPS) - On Sunday, 19 June 2022, the hopes of millions of Colombians working for a more democratic, safer, ecological, and socially just country came true.

9. Violence, rhetoric, hate speech, drive atrocity crimes in Ukraine and beyond, Security Council hears

- UN News

The UN Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide briefed the Security Council on Tuesday, reinforcing concerns already voiced by other senior UN officials in the chamber, over “the heightened risks” of sexual violence, and trafficking, which are “significantly impacting women and children”, following the Russian invasion of 24 February.

10. 222 million crisis-hit children currently require educational support

- UN News

A shocking new UN report released on Tuesday indicates that the number of crisis-impacted school-aged children requiring educational support has grown from an estimated 75 million in 2016, to 222 million today.