News headlines for “Global Financial Crisis”, page 2

1. Farmers Will (Again) Feed the World

NEW YORK, Nov 23 (IPS) - Wealthier countries struggling to contain the widening COVID-19 pandemic amid protests over lockdowns and restrictions risk ignoring an even greater danger out there – a looming global food emergency.

2. Japan Should Lead Charge for Equitable Access to COVID-19 Vaccines

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Nov 20 (IPS) - Japan should step up and play a role as a global facilitator for equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines, Dr Daisaku Higashi said at a recent Japan Parliamentarians Federation for Population (JPFP) study meeting.

3. My Voice, Our Equal Future! Joining the Chorus of Girls Who Are Speaking up for Change

NEW YORK, Nov 20 (IPS) - Girls are change makers and world shapers! When girls speak up, they are a powerful force to be reckoned with.

4. Vietnam and Cambodia: Leveraging Support to Enhance Climate Ambition

WASHINGTON DC, Nov 19 (IPS) - The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted nearly every facet of our lives and delayed what was slated to be a landmark Conference of the Parties (COP26). This pivotal year marks the first due date for countries to submit revised national climate plans per the five-year cycle required by the Paris Agreement.

Remarkably, countries are still moving forward with renewed urgency. And many countries are integrating green recovery into their COVID-19 responses, further contributing to climate action. While many countries have positive stories to tell, both of our nations, Vietnam and Cambodia, are sterling examples of nations taking strong, decisive action, particularly with support through the NDC Partnership. Just last month, the people of Vietnam submitted their updated national climate plan and, in short order, the people of Cambodia will do likewise.

5. Mexicans Labor Rights Closely Watched by the US

MEXICO CITY, Nov 18 (IPS) - As many have observed worldwide, the outcome of the US presidential elections has been, as expected - full of hope and fear. Many people had the bad feeling that if Trump were to be re-elected, the uncertainty, already enormous due to the pandemic and its effects, would jeopardize the economic recovery worldwide. The triumph of Democrat Biden does not guarantee great solutions, but at the least offers a little more of transparency, certainty, and stability.

6. Eswatini makes Progress on NDCs thanks to Crucial Partnership Support

MBABANE, Nov 17 (IPS) - Barry de Maine, the director of Green Cross Pharmacy, lost about $ 7,675 worth of stock when The Mall, the largest shopping centre in Mbabane, was flooded back in 2003. But when the flash floods hit again this year, he had already installed a flange to stop water from coming in.

“This is the best I could do under the circumstances,” De Maine told IPS, adding: “Otherwise since we started experiencing floods at The Mall (17 years ago) nothing has been done.”

7. COVID-19 Compounding Inequalities

KUALA LUMPUR and SYDNEY, Nov 17 (IPS) - The United Nations’ renamed World Social Report 2020 (WSR 2020) argued that income inequality is rising in most developed countries, and some middle-income countries, including China, the world’s fastest growing economy in recent decades.

8. African Languages Matter: Is There Still Time to Prevent Cultural Genocide?

ABIDJAN, Côte d’Ivoire, Nov 16 (IPS) - As a 10 year-old newly arrived in Lagos from England, I recall listening intently to how the Yoruba language - my father's language - was spoken. I would constantly repeat in my head or verbally repeat what I thought I had heard. I was not always successful. Many times, what would come out of my mouth would throw my friends into fits of laughter.

9. Secretive Mega-Trade Deal Rules Could Harm Asia’s Covid-19 Recovery

BANGKOK, Thailand, Nov 13 (IPS) - Fifteen countries will sign a mega-trade deal at the ASEAN conference this weekend imposing secretive restrictions on how governments help workers through the pandemic, trade union leaders and parliamentarians have warned.

10. Vietnam Takes the Lead on Indo-Pacific Economic Integration

PERTH, Australia, Nov 12 (IPS) - This was the year that Vietnam was poised to make progress on its rise as a regional leader. Under the auspices of Vietnam's ASEAN chairmanship, a breakthrough in global trade has been achieved despite rising protectionism and a global pandemic.

Web feed for Global Financial Crisis news headlines