News headlines for “Global Financial Crisis”, page 3

1. Pandemic Accentuates Need for Caribbean Countries to Improve Food and Nutrition Security

- Inter Press Service

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Apr 02 (IPS) - Last year, Jaxine Scott was off work as a caregiver at a primary school as a result of the pandemic. One day, she noticed a green shoot emerging from some garlic in her fridge. She decided to plant it, and to her surprise, it thrived. “I thought ‘It looks like I have a green thumb, let me plant something else,’” Scott says.

She now has a backyard garden, including cucumber, pumpkin, melon, callaloo, cantaloupe, pak choy and tomatoes. “It makes me feel good,” she says. “I can help my family members and neighbours. It has saved me money. I’m not going to stop, I’m going to continue,” she says.

2. Many countries spending more on debt than education, health and social protection combined

- UN News

Around one in eight nations spends more on debt than on social services, according to a new report from the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) launched on Thursday, calling for debt service relief and restructuring to enable countries to bounce back from the pandemic.

3. UN Leadership Necessary for Fairer Tax Cooperation

- Inter Press Service

A story from Inter Press Service, an international news agency

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Apr 01 (IPS) - Illicit financial flows (IFFs) hurt all countries, both developed and developing. But poor countries suffer relatively moreaccounting for nearly half the loss of world tax revenue.

4. Farming-Specific Loans Help Tanzania's Smallholders Increase Productivity

- Inter Press Service

MADABA/MAFINGA, Tanzania, Mar 31 (IPS) - Small agricultural loans, disbursed through mobile phones and targeting specific farming activities at different phases of production, have more than doubled food productivity among thousands of smallholder farmers in southern and central parts of Tanzania over the past three years, improving their livelihoods.

5. Recipes with a Taste of Sustainable Development on the Coast of El Salvador

- Inter Press Service

SAN LUIS LA HERRADURA, El Salvador, Mar 31 (IPS) - Salvadoran villager Maria Luz Rodriguez placed the cheese on top of the lasagna she was cooking outdoors, put the pan in her solar oven and glanced at the midday sun to be sure there was enough energy for cooking.

6. Covid19 a Wake-up Call to Address Development Fault Lines in Asia and the Pacific

- Inter Press Service

BANGKOK, Thailand, Mar 30 (IPS) - The world is emerging from the biggest social and economic shock in living memory, but it will be a long time before the deep scars of the COVID-19 pandemic on human well-being fully heal.

In the Asia-Pacific region, where 60 per cent of the world lives, the pandemic revealed chronic development fault lines through its excessively harmful impact on the most vulnerable. The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) estimates that 89 million more people in the region have been pushed back into extreme poverty at the $1.90 per day threshold, erasing years of development gains. The economic and educational shutdowns are likely to have severely harmed human capital formation and productivity, exacerbating poverty and inequality.

7. Developing Countries COVID-19 Debt Crisis Could Put 2030 Agenda & Paris Agreement Completely Out of Reach

- Inter Press Service

BONN, Germany, Mar 30 (IPS) - The inability of developing nations to spend on post COVID-19 recovery and resilience has placed the world on the "the verge of a debt crisis". “We face the spectre of a divided world and a lost decade for development,” United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Monday, Mar. 29, during a high-level meeting on financing development post COVID-19.

8. IMF, World Bank Must Urgently Help Finance Developing Countries

- Inter Press Service

SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Mar 30 (IPS) - COVID-19 has set back the uneven progress of recent decades, directly causing more than two million deaths. The slowdown, due to the pandemic and policy responses, has pushed hundreds of millions more into poverty, hunger and worse, also deepening many inequalities.

9. Guterres urges ‘decisive action’ to stave off debt crisis in developing world

- UN News

A story from UN News

Though significant steps have been taken to prevent debt crises across the world sparked by the COVID-19 crisis, they have not been sufficient to restore economic stability in many developing countries, according to a policy brief issued by the UN Secretary-General on Monday. 

10. Arab Region Counts Cost of Devastating COVID-19 Pandemic

- Inter Press Service

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Mar 29 (IPS) - More than eight million people moved onto the poverty line in the Arab region, a conference of Arab and Asian parliamentarians heard.

The hybrid conference, held simultaneously in Beirut, Lebanon, and via video conferencing to delegates in Asia and the Arab region, was a follow up on earlier discussions on the regions' ICPD25 Commitments.