This print version has been auto-generated from http://www.globalissues.org/video/783/eric-toussaint-european-colonialism
This web page has the following sub-sections:
This is a clip from the documentary The End of Poverty in which Eric Toussaint summarizes the effect of European colonialism and imperialism using the symbolic date of 1492 as a starting point for this process that led to Europe dominating the world for centuries.
- The End of Poverty2
- Running time
- 0m 41s
- USA, November 01, 2009
- Cinema Libre Studio
- About The End of Poverty
The documentary, The End of Poverty argues that global poverty did not just happen. It began with military conquest, slavery and colonization that resulted in the seizure of land, minerals and forced labor. Today, the problem persists because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies — in other words, wealthy countries taking advantage of poor, developing countries.
- About Eric Toussaint
- Founder and president of CADTM (Committee for the Abolition of Third World Debt)
Eric Toussaint, doctor in Political Science is the founder and president of CADTM (Committee for the Abolition of Third World Debt) and a fellow and frequent lecturer at the International Institute of Research & Education, Amsterdam. Due to his knowledge of the debt of developing countries he became the advisor of many governments and presidents like the ones of Mali, Venezuela or more recently Ecuador. He is the author of many books including: Your money [or] Your Life — The Tyranny of Global Finance, The Debt Scam — IMF, World Bank and Third World Debt, Globalization: Reality, Resistance & Alternatives, The World Bank — A Never-Ending Coup d’Etat.
I think there is a key date: 1492. This was the start of an extremely brutal intervention by the Europeans on what is now known as the People of the Americas. From that point on, we can talk of globalization because during the 15th century, almost all of the continents are connected together by brutal European domination which will spread progressively towards Asia and Africa.
— Eric Toussaint
- The End of Poverty3
- Causes of Poverty4
- Trade, Economy, & Related Issues5
- Structural Adjustment—a Major Cause of Poverty6
- Poverty Around The World7
- Free Trade and Globalization8
(Note that listed here are only those hyperlinks to other articles from other web sites or elsewhere on this web site. Other sources such as journal, books and magazines, are mentioned above in the original text. Please also note that links to external sites are beyond my control. They might become unavailable temporarily or permanently since you read this, depending on the policies of those sites, which I cannot unfortunately do anything about.)
- Global Issues: “Causes of Poverty”, Last updated: Sunday, March 24, 2013, http://www.globalissues.org/issue/2/causes-of-poverty
- Global Issues: “Trade, Economy, & Related Issues”, Last updated: Sunday, March 24, 2013, http://www.globalissues.org/issue/1/trade-economy-related-issues
- Global Issues: “Structural Adjustment—a Major Cause of Poverty”, Last updated: Sunday, March 24, 2013, http://www.globalissues.org/article/3/structural-adjustment-a-major-cause-of-poverty
- Global Issues: “Poverty Around The World”, Last updated: Saturday, November 12, 2011, http://www.globalissues.org/article/4/poverty-around-the-world
- Global Issues: “Free Trade and Globalization”, Last updated: Sunday, March 24, 2013, http://www.globalissues.org/issue/38/free-trade-and-globalization