News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 2

1. Strangers in the Land: A Congolese Murder Case

Monday, January 21, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jan 21 (IPS) - A man walks down the street.
    It's a street in a strange world.
    Maybe it's the Third World.
    Maybe it's his first time around.
    He doesn't speak the language.
    He holds no currency.
    He is a foreign man.
    He is surrounded by the sound.
    The sound!
    Cattle in the marketplace,
    scatterlings and orphanages.
    He looks around, around.

I thought about this song by Paul Simon while I in 2011 spent a few weeks in Kinshasa. I was a foreign man in a strange world, surrounded by sights and sounds, completely dependent on my new-found Congolese friends. When our taxi got stuck in a traffic jam and we had to walk to our destination I was stopped by a group of heavily armed youngsters, lead by a man who claimed to be a policeman, charging me with an exaggerated high fine for taking photos within a restricted area.

2. A New Spectre is Haunting Europe

Thursday, January 17, 2019

ROME, Jan 17 (IPS) - After Teresa May's defeat in the British parliament it is clear that a new spectre is haunting Europe. It is no longer the spectre of communism, which opens Marx's Manifesto of 1848; it is the spectre of the failure of neoliberal globalisation, which reigned uncontested following the fall of the Berlin Wall, until the financial crisis of 2009.

3. Why We Should Care about Vulnerable Coastal Communities

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

ROME, Jan 16 (IPS) - Nigel Brett is Director of the Asia and Pacific Division at the International Fund for Agricultural Development

According to UN statistics, approximately 40 per cent of the world's population lives within 100 kilometers of the coast, and overall the world's coastal population is increasing faster than the total global population. At the same time, global warming is causing sea levels to rise and increasing extreme weather incidents on coastlines.

4. Shedding Light on Forced Child Pregnancy and Motherhood in Latin America

Monday, January 14, 2019

LIMA, Jan 14 (IPS) - Research and campaigns by women's rights advocates are beginning to focus on the problem of Latin American girls under the age of 14 who are forced to bear the children of their rapists, with the lifelong implications that entails and without the protection of public policies guaranteeing their human rights.

5. Time for a new Paradigm

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

ROME, Jan 08 (IPS) - Roberto Savio is founder of IPS Inter Press Service and President Emeritus

The person most qualified to write the foreword for this latest work by Riccardo Petrella, In the Name of Humanity, would actually be Pope Francis, who, using other words but speaking of values and making denouncements, has often argued what the reader will find in the following pages. I quote him, because words like "solidarity", "equality", "social justice" or "participation" – now used only by Pope Francis I – have now disappeared from today's political vocabulary.

I was called to this task because I have spent my life in favour of information that would give citizens the tools to be conscious actors. But the reason why from a "professional" I have become an "activist" in the campaign for world governance is precisely because I see information as directly responsible for the drift in which we find ourselves.

6. The Adolescent Girl Holds the Key to Kenya’s Economic Transformation and Prosperity

Monday, December 31, 2018

NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 31 (IPS) - Teenage pregnancy in Kenya is a crisis of hope, education and opportunity.

The countdown to a New Year has begun. Can 2019 be a year of affirmative action to ensure hope and opportunity for Kenya's adolescent girl?

7. Italy Has the ‘Greenest Agriculture’ in Europe, But it’s Not Sustainable

Sunday, December 23, 2018

ROME, Dec 23 (IPS) - While Italian agriculture is in a leading position in terms of organic farming, sustainable agriculture and being at the forefront of biodiversity conservation; water scarcity, illegal workers and the role of women and combined ageing of its workforce remain pressing concerns.

8. Human Trafficking - Hidden in Plain Sight

Friday, December 21, 2018

DUBAI, Dec 21 (IPS) - The media globally tends to have a bias to negative, sensational and headline grabbing stories and events and this certainly applies to reporting related to human trafficking in the third world. With the abundance of stories around sweat shops, massage parlours and organ trafficking networks happening ‘somewhere else', the West is generally desensitised, lacks empathy and fails to fully appreciate the scale of the problem which sits right under their noses and in plain sight.

9. Mercury Contamination Threat Gravitates into Outer Space

Friday, December 21, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Dec 21 (IPS) - The dangers of mercury contamination have escalated from the dental chair to the realm of outer space.

First, it was the hazardous use of mercury in dentistry, then in cosmetics, particularly skin-lightening creams, and now it is threatening to make its way into satellite propulsion systems.

10. Global Anti-Human Trafficking Coalition

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

BELGRADE, Serbia, Dec 18 (IPS) - Vladimir Bozovic is Advisor of Government of the Republic of Serbia

Entire human history is one great struggle for freedom. To many, slavery is a synonym for something in the past, for transatlantic slave trade, but, unfortunately, slavery still exists in many different forms.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines