News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 2

1. “I Wake Up Screaming”: Gaza’s Children Bear the Brunt of Violence

Thursday, May 10, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, May 10 (IPS) - Reham Qudaih wakes up nightly to the same nightmare: her father shot, lying on the ground in a pool of blood."In my dreams he is on the ground shot. When I have that dream – which I've had more than once I wake up screaming," she told the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC).

2. Belt and Road Initiative Vows Green Infrastructure with Connectivity

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

MANILA, May 08 (IPS) - "My son in primary school did not attend a birthday celebration because it was cancelled due to bad air -- and we live in Seoul, a great place to live," said Dr. Frank Rijsberman, director-general of the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI).

3. Fao Releases Alarming Report on Soil Pollution

Friday, May 04, 2018

ROME, May 04 (IPS) - Soil pollution is posing a serious threat to our environment, to our sources food and ultimately to our health.The Food and Agriculture Orgaization of the United Nations (FAO) warns that there is still a lack of awareness about the scale and severity of this threat.An FAO released a report titled "Soil Pollution: A Hiddel Reality" at the start of a global symposium which has been taking place 2-4 May, 2018 at FAO headquarters, participated by gathering experts and policymakers to discuss the threat of soil pollution in order to build an effective framework for a cohesive international response.

4. In South Sudan, Denial of Humanitarian Aid is a War Tactic

Friday, May 04, 2018

May 04 (IPS) - Christine Monaghan is research officer, Watchlist on Children and Armed ConflictWhen I visited South Sudan last year, I heard story after story about health professionals and humanitarian workers being prevented from doing critical work. Government officials regularly increased fees for nonprofits trying to alleviate the effects of conflict, stopped humanitarian convoys from delivering life-saving supplies, and erected bureaucratic obstacles designed to impede access to civilians in need.

5. Human Trafficking for Organs: Ending abuse of the Poorest

Monday, April 30, 2018

ROME, Apr 30 (IPS) - Organ transplantation is one of the most incredible medical achievements of the past century. Since the first successful transplants, which took place in the 1950s, organ transplantation has saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.

6. Occupational Safety Grows in Latin America, Except Among Young People

Friday, April 27, 2018

RIO DE JANEIRO, Apr 27 (IPS) - Despite progress achieved in occupational safety in Latin America, the rates of work-related accidents and diseases are still worrying, especially among young people, more vulnerable in a context of labour flexibility and unemployment.

7. From Declaration to Action: Improving Immunization in Africa

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 25 (IPS) - Joyce Nganga is policy advisor with WACI Health, an African regional health advocacy NGO headquartered in Kenya. Inviolate Akinyi, a 46-year-old grandmother, is certain that her grand-daughter needs to get all her vaccines for her to grow up healthy and strong. She uses a mix of private and public clinics in Kibera, one of the largest informal settlement in Nairobi, to get the 15-month-old the shots she needs.

8. Kidnapped, Abducted and Abandoned…

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

NEW DELHI, Apr 24 (IPS) - Geetika Dang is an independent researcher; Vani S. Kulkarni is lecturer in Sociology, University of Pennsylvania, USA; and Raghav Gaiha is (Hon.) professorial research fellow, Global Development Institute, University of Manchester, England.Kidnappings and abductions have soared since 2001. The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) shows that their share in total crimes against women nearly doubled from 10% in 2001 to 19% in 2016. More striking is the fact that 11 women were kidnapped or abducted every day in Delhi in 2016. What these statistics do not reveal are brutal gang-rapes of kidnapped minors and women, multiple sales to husbands who treat them as animals, unwanted pregnancies, police inaction, and frequent abandonment with nowhere to go—not even to their maternal homes—because of the stigma of a being a "prostitute".

9. The Gang Rape and Murder of an 8 Year Old Child in India

Monday, April 23, 2018

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 23 (IPS) - Siddharth Chatterjee is the United Nations Resident Coordinator to Kenya. Grotesque and barbaric, is the only way to describe the rape and murder of an 8 year old child, in a country where women and girls are traditionally revered as Goddesses.

10. Child Soldiers Released, But Risk Remains

Friday, April 20, 2018

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 20 (IPS) - More than 200 child soldiers were released by armed groups in war-torn South Sudan, and help will be needed to ensure their safe and bright future, according to a UN agency. The release took place in Western Equatoria State and follows a similar release last month that saw 300 children freed.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines