News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 2

1. Community Efforts are Key When Addressing HIV/AIDS

Saturday, November 30, 2019

ABUJA, Nov 30 (IPS) - Three years ago, I led an evaluation of an HIV project that focused on increasing access to quality care and supporting services for people living with HIV in Nigeria. It also aimed to reduce HIV-related stigma and discrimination.

2. Four Ways to Prevent Deaths from Lassa Fever

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

ABUJA, Nov 27 (IPS) - Woutera Dutch doctor who helped perform surgeries and train colleagues in surgical skills in underserved areas of Sierra Leone died of Lassa Fever. He was infected as a result of performing a Caesarean section on an infected pregnant woman. 

3. Catalysing Change for Gender Equality

BANGKOK, Thailand – UNITED NATIONS, Nov 27 (IPS) - Great strides have been taken to empower women and girls in the Asia-Pacific region since the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing adopted an ambitious global agenda to achieve gender equality twenty-five years ago. Gender parity has been achieved in primary education. Maternal mortality has been halved. Today, the region's governments are committed to overcoming the persistent challenges of discrimination, gender-based violence and women's unequal access to resources and decision-making.

4. UN Warns of ‘Screen Teens’ not Getting Enough Exercise

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 27 (IPS) - It is a common complaint of parents globally that their children and teenagers spend far too many hours sprawled on couches playing video games, sharing selfies with online friends and giggling over TikTok videos.

5. I am Generation Equality: Child Marriage Survivor & Activist

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

FUSHE KRUJE, Albania, Nov 26 (IPS) - Billions of people across the world stand on the right side of history every day. They speak up, take a stand, mobilize, and take big and small actions to advance women's rights. This is Generation Equality.-- I am Generation Equality because… I didn't want other girls to go through the same struggles I experienced. I got married when I was 14 years old. I had no idea what marriage was.

6. Social Protection Necessary to Quickly End Poverty, Hunger

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

KUALA LUMPUR and SYDNEY, Nov 26 (IPS) - Historically, most social security systems have developed in the formal sector of rich economies. However, most of the poor and hungry in the world live in rural areas, surviving in the informal economy.

7. Statistics and Stories – Time to Change the Refugee Narrative?

Monday, November 25, 2019

ROME, Nov 25 (IPS) - Statistics and stories. When aid agencies appeal for funding to tackle the latest refugee crisis and journalists do their reporting, then these are the two narratives most chosen -- one impersonal and the other upfront and individual.

The sheer numbers can feel overwhelming. The UN refugee agency UNHCR says more than 70 million people are currently displaced by conflict, the most since the Second World War. Among them are nearly 26 million who have fled their countries (over half under the age of 18) and 3.5 million more are registered as asylum seekers.

8. Science & Policy Must Remain Partners in Mercury Challenge

GENEVA, Nov 25 (IPS) - Minamata COP3 provides chance to get effectiveness evaluation right. It has been more than two years since the Minamata Convention on Mercury entered into force. The global treaty protects humans and the environment from the toxic metal, but countries are still stuck on how to measure the agreement's effectiveness.

9. More Austerity for Developing Countries: It’s Bad News, and It’s Avoidable

WASHINGTON DC and LONDON, Nov 25 (IPS) - As the West questions damaging austerity policies, it is becoming the new normal for the rest of the world, risking achievement of sustainable development goals. After years of austerity, a number of Eurozone countries are now considering expansionary fiscal policies. And in the UK, government spending is set to return to levels last seen in the 1970s. But austerity abounds elsewhere in the world, including in some of the poorest countries.

10. 80 Percent of Adolescents Do Less than 60 Minutes of Activity per Day, UN Health Agency Warns

Friday, November 22, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 22 (IPS) - An alarming lack of exercise among adolescents across the world risks seriously compromising their health into adulthood, the UN said on Thursday.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines