News headlines for “Health Issues”, page 2

1. US Leads Donor Funding to Fight HIV/AIDS Amidst Overall Decline

Friday, July 19, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 19 (IPS) - Since 2010, donor funding to fight HIV/AIDS in low-and middle-income countries has dropped significantly, according to a new report released here.

2. Here’s How the World Can Be Better Prepared to Handle Epidemics

Friday, July 19, 2019

ABUJA, Jul 19 (IPS) - The 2019 G20 Summit was held recently in Osaka, Japan. The Summit ended with the "G20 Osaka Leaders' Declaration", which identifies health as a prerequisite for sustainable and inclusive economic growth, and the leaders committed to various efforts to improve epidemic preparedness. 

3. Let's Talk About Sex – and Why Power Matters

Thursday, July 11, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jul 11 (IPS) - Dr Natalia Kanem is Executive Director of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA).

Every year on World Population Day (July 11), UNFPA receives queries from journalists about the total number of people around the world. Numbers are indeed important because they help governments develop policies that respond to evolving needs for services such as education and health.

4. A Lifelong Battle Against the “Disease of Silence”

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

BRASILIA, Jul 10 (IPS) - Mario Osava interviews YOHEI SASAKAWA, president of the Nippon FoundationYohei Sasakawa has dedicated half of his 80 years of life to combating the "disease of silence" and is still fighting the battle, as president of the Nippon Foundation and World Health Organisation (WHO) goodwill ambassador for elimination of leprosy, formally known as Hansen's Disease.

5. The Libyan Disaster: Little Bits of History Repeating

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jul 09 (IPS) -

And I've seen it before,
    and I'll see it again.
    Yes I've seen it before,
    just little bits of history repeating.

-- Propeller Heads: History repeating

The Libyan catastrophe and the suffering of "illegal" migrants are generally depicted as fairly recent events, though they are actually the results of a long history of greed, contempt for others and fatal shortsightedness. Like former Yugoslavia, Libya was created from a mosaic of tribal entities, subdued by colonial powers and then ruled by an iron-fisted dictator. Now, Libya is a quagmire where local and international stakeholders battle to control its natural resources. The country holds the largest oil reserves in Africa, oil and gas account for 60 percent of GDP and more than 90 percent of exports.1 This is one reason why Egypt, France, Russia, Saudi Arabia, the U.S., and many other nations are enmeshed in Libya. Furthermore, European nations try to stop mainly sub-Saharan refugees and migrants from reaching their coasts from Libya. An attempt to understand Italy´s essential role in the struggle over Libya´s oil and attempts to control unwanted immigration may help to clarify some issues related to the current situation.

6. Japan Boosts Complex Fight to Eliminate Leprosy in Brazil

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

BRASILIA, Jul 09 (IPS) - When cases of Hansen's disease, better known as leprosy, increase in Brazil, it is not due to a lack of medical assistance but to the growing efficacy of the health system in detecting infections, contrary to the situation in other countries.

7. Kenya’s March Towards a Demographic Dividend by Investing in Health and Partnering with the Health Sector from the Netherlands Visiting Kenya

Monday, July 01, 2019

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 01 (IPS) - H.E. Frans Makken is Ambassador of the Netherlands to Kenya

Demographic dividend is a term which is increasingly preoccupying discussions among development economists and the donor community in general in Kenya. The term refers to countries with the greatest demographic opportunity for development and those that are ushering in a period in which the working-age population has good health, quality education, decent employment and a lower proportion of young dependents. Smaller numbers of children per household generally lead to larger investments per child, more freedom for women to enter the formal workforce and more household savings for old age. When this happens, the national economic payoff can be substantial, and this is the demographic dividend.

8. Partnering for Youth in Central Asia

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jun 25 (IPS) - Young people around the world are facing increasingly insurmountable, persistent barriers as they try to achieve their full potential and secure a prosperous future. However, Central Asia and the Asia-Pacific have already begun working to ensure that no one is left behind.

9. Are Hotels Dangerous? Putting in Context Dominican Republic Tourist Deaths

Monday, June 24, 2019

STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jun 24 (IPS) -

I stayed overnight at a motel by the E3.
    In my room a smell I'd felt before
    I stayed overnight in the echoing house.
    Many want to come in through the walls
    but most of them can´t make it:
    they´re overcome by the white hiss of oblivion.
    Anonymous singing drowns in the walls
    Discreet tappings that don´t want to be heard
    drown-out sighs
    my old repartees creeping homelessly.
    --Thomas Tranströmer The Gallery 1

Being a frequent visitor to the Dominican Republic, where I occasionally have enjoyed the high standard, security and excellent service of its resorts, I became puzzled by recent, quiet excessive media reactions to statistically insignificant cases of deaths in these resorts. The number of demises in Dominican resorts have been more or less the same over the years and do not at all differ from those of most other tourist destinations. People die in hotels all over the world. There may even be specific reasons for this and they are far from being unique to the Dominican Republic.

10. Low-Income Countries Pay Over 20 Times More for Generic Drugs

Friday, June 21, 2019

UNITED NATIONS, Jun 21 (IPS) - A recently-released report by the Washington-based Center for Global Development (CGD) shows that generic drugs, like omeprazole (used to treat heartburn), can cost 20-30 times more in low and middle-income countries than in high-income countries.

Web feed for Health Issues news headlines