Ukraine: Dozens dead and injured as UN condemns ‘utterly deplorable’ shopping centre attack
At least ten people have reportedly been killed by what Ukrainian authorities have said was a Russian missile strike on a crowded shopping centre, and attack which the UN condemned on Monday as “utterly deplorable”.
At least ten people have reportedly been killed by what Ukrainian authorities have said was a Russian missile strike on a crowded shopping centre, and attack which the UN condemned on Monday as “utterly deplorable”.
The mall in the eastern city of Kremenchuk – a city which has largely escaped being targeted – was hit in the late afternoon, with reportedly 1,000 or more shoppers inside.
At least 40 were injured in the strike, said authorities, and the number of dead and injured is likely to rise. Footage from the scene showed buildings on fire and widespread destruction.
Civilians should not be targeted
United Nations Spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, told correspondents at the daily briefing in New York that although casualties still had to be verified, “whatever the number is any attack that hits a shopping mall, is utterly deplorable.”
“Any sort of civilian infrastructure, which includes obviously shopping malls, and civilians, should never ever be targeted”, he added.
Mr. Dujarric said there had been “disturbing reports of a new wave of airstrikes and shelling over the weekend and again today, with civilians having been killed or injured. Homes, health facilities and other civilian infrastructure were reportedly damaged.”
Kyiv hit
During the weekend, the capital, Kyiv, was hit again, and a residential building was damaged, with some people trapped in the debris, he added.
“Loss of life, injury, destruction of homes across Ukraine, wreak havoc in the lives of individuals, families, communities”, said UN Resident Coordinator in the country, Osnat Lubrani, in a tweet on Sunday. “Civilians must be protected wherever they are.”
Desperation in the Donbas
Meanwhile in the Donbas region on the front lines between the invading Russian forces and Ukrainian defenders, fighting has continued, with UN humanitarians facing “tremendous challenges” reaching civilians, “who are facing increasing needs”, said Mr. Dujarric.
“The challenges are not only due to insecurity, but also to lack of access due to administrative restrictions imposed by the parties.
We once again stress that the parties are obliged under international humanitarian law to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure.”
The UN Crisis Coordinator for Ukraine, Amin Awad, tweeted at the weekend that as humanitarian needs grew, the UN would “continue to scale up and work side by side, with the Ukrainian Government and its people.”
© UN News (2022) — All Rights Reserved. Original source: UN News
Where next?
Browse related news topics:
Read the latest news stories:
- New recombinant mpox strain detected in UK and India, WHO urges continued monitoring Saturday, February 14, 2026
- Guterres tells AU Summit: ‘This is 2026 – not 1946’ in push for reform Saturday, February 14, 2026
- World Entrepreneurs and Investment Forum puts women at the heart of economic transformation Saturday, February 14, 2026
- In the hands of innovators from the Global South, AI can transform lives Saturday, February 14, 2026
- Multilateralism Reaching Breaking Point Friday, February 13, 2026
- Africa at the Epicenter of Child Labour Crisis as Migration Fuels Exploitation Friday, February 13, 2026
- Next UN Secretary-General Should Champion Human Rights Friday, February 13, 2026
- Bay of Despair: Rohingya Refugees Risk Their Lives at Sea Friday, February 13, 2026
- World News in Brief: Deadly strikes in Sudan, health systems in South Sudan near the brink, Guterres calls for unity ahead of Ramadan. Friday, February 13, 2026
- Gaza: Lifesaving aid operations continue despite restrictions Friday, February 13, 2026
Learn more about the related issues: