What’s New October 2004
This page lists changes to this site for October 2004.
Extreme weather may be a sign of things to come, as seen by the successive strong hurricanes in the Atlantic that devastated a number of Caribbean islands and parts of the United States. Rising ocean temperatures due to climate change increases the chances of more storms like the recent hurricane Ivan. Russia also recently decided to ratify the Kyoto climate change treaty. Without Russia's decision, this treaty to curb emissions was looking like it would not come into effect. Update added to the global warming introduction section regarding this.
The articles include a couple that look at the changing nature of terrorism, and on the 9-11 investigation.
Hundreds were killed, including children as the siege of a Russian school ended in violence. Chechen rebels committed this grotesque terrorist act following two other recent acts of terrorism as it fights for independence from Russia. The struggle has been brutal for years, with Russian forces being accused of gross human rights violations in Chechnya. Chechen rebels, becoming increasingly militant are also turning to gross human rights violations to aide their cause. Small update added regarding this.
You can also
- View changes in other months and years in the What’s New Archives
- Get notified when there are new updates
- See a tip on how to highlight the updated text of listed pages
Check out what was new in:
Get notified when there are new updates
GlobalIssues.org provides various ways you can be notified when there is new content:
Tip: how to to highlight updated parts of pages
Most updates are made to existing pages. This is how you can quickly view them:
- If you have a modern browser, look for the Last Updated date text near the top of the article.
- If the text is underlined, you can select it.
- This will bring up a list of dates when the page was updated. (Note only dates since the beginning of 2004, when this new feature was created, will show up.)
- When you select a date, the text that was updated on that date will be highlighted.
- As you scroll down the page, you will see those highlighted sections.